Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Friction_Shifter for the help....

So...

Only Ski pics, we didn't take many at night since there were no lights and camera battery life was limited. Also, the camera died right as we walked into the bar on our last day at 4pm, would have liked to had some pic's of that. So use your imagination: 4 guys, 4 girls, 2 tents ( 1 to sleep in, 1 for eating and relaxing in ) both heated by woodstove's, no showers, 1 pair of clothes per person for a week, 8 avalanche beacons, 8 avalanche probes, 8 avalanche shovels, 2 french-canadain guides, hot coco + baileys, whiskey + apple cider.

We made a 3rd descent (third people to ever ski this one coulouir, unfortunately no real pics of it, but it was 61 degrees of pitch, about 10 ft wide, and alot of fun)

Weather was sunny and 35-40 each day. Untouched perfect powder runs, every run, except late afternoons low down which were nice corn snow. Didn't see another person, another persons tracks, anything....all week. It was amazing.

Anyways, here it goes....
mount craggy
View attachment 48830
the view from the top of mont blanc
View attachment 48839
near the east summit of mont blanc
View attachment 48840
nick airing things out near the bottom of a coulouir of which we made a 3rd descent
View attachment 48841
yours truely with the ski mag cover shot
View attachment 48842
looking back up the coulouir (of 3rd descent fame)
View attachment 48843
St. Lawerence River
View attachment 48844
Wind Power
View attachment 48845
A few of us skining up the back bowl of mont blanc (south face)
View attachment 48846
A moose that ran for at least 45 minutes in front of our snowmobiles on the 1.5 hour ride in
View attachment 48847
Mont Blanc, West face
View attachment 48848
Rock Formation on the North Face of Mont Blanc (near the primary bowl)
View attachment 48849
Teli-Turn
View attachment 48850
The View
View attachment 48851

Hope you all liked it.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
WOW!! Brilliant, thanks so much for sharing. Looks like a great time. What kind of skiis were you using, in the one pic it looks like someone is using cross country skiis, at least the knee is bent and it looks like the heel is off the ski.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zeytin said:
WOW!! Brilliant, thanks so much for sharing. Looks like a great time. What kind of skiis were you using, in the one pic it looks like someone is using cross country skiis, at least the knee is bent and it looks like the heel is off the ski.
that person is using telemark skis, knee bent, heel is free.

i think 2 ppl tele'd, 2 ppl snowboarded (and climbed in snowshoes)

the rest of us used whats called alpine touring or randonee gear. Basically, it is like a normal ski binding, except it can be set to free the heel (like a telemark binding) so u can climb uphill (with the use of climbing skins). When u get to the top, u lock down the heels, and ski down like normal. It's actaully a pretty cool setup.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
cool pix

Awesome! When I lived in VT, I had always wanted to get up to the Monts Chic Chocs. Never got around to it.

What is the access like? Like what are the logistics of getting in there? Is it a big hike/ski in to the area? Are there towns nearby or is it pretty much the middle of nowhere? I've heard it's like 1000 Tuckerman Ravines...

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Wow! You got some fantastic shots there. So much different than the stuff I ski here. The trees with the ice/snow coverings are just amazing to look at not to mention the skiing itself. We're up to 15' of base with 2 foot of powder over the past couple of days. I've gotten tired of powder skiing (seems crazy no?) and was hoping for some lazy spring days that I could just bomb the runs on. Sometimes it's just fun to be carefree and watch the world go by without thinking about it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BenWA said:
What is the access like? Like what are the logistics of getting in there? Is it a big hike/ski in to the area? Are there towns nearby or is it pretty much the middle of nowhere? I've heard it's like 1000 Tuckerman Ravines...
from waterville, me the drive was about 8.5 hours (with a few quick stops). then we drove another 45 minutes the next day, then took snowmobiles for 1.5 hours, and then its a 15 minute hike to the tents (at the base of mont blanc). the access is super limited. we went with a guide who is the only guide doing mont blanc (nice if u want fresh tracks all the time and no one else around) there is also stuff going at mont logan which is much easier to get to (drive near the base i believe) and also a few other mountains. Where we were was in the middle of nowhere, but meatheads went 2 years ago (like tgr, but east coast) and the skied near mt. logan and they stayed in hotels, so id assume its near a small town. there are a bunch of small towns in the area. really small...... Where we were was about 1.5 hour hikes each morning, run, 30 minute hike, run, 30 min hike, run, 30 min hike, run, 1.5 hour hike. We did all skinning though. It def is a workout and gets u in shape, but the scenery is amazing (the pics don't do it justice) and its enjoyable. parts of it are like tuck's, the hiking is alot more, some of it as steep, but there is also alot of nice wide open bowls or tree skiing that is more around 30-35 degrees pitch. There is also some real steep and narrow stuff. If you can do tucks for a day, and be ready to do it again the next morning, you would be fine. It's alot cooler than tucks cause we were the only people, didnt see another soul for a week.....vs. tucks, which can be packed. plus the snow is better. if u want pm me and ill send u the website of our guide, he was a really cool guy, and a good skier (he guided meatheads when they were in the chic chocs and was in their video) we did it pretty cheap, and he has a nice setup, heated tents, perfect location....pm me for more....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts