Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note the Red Un-Smiley face.

Here's the cliff notes version: Bought a computer last October, problems, tech support back and forth, etc. etc. In late February they tell me I need to send it back for service, after installing the new hard drive didn't fix the problem. I sent the computer back on 3/3, FedEx confirms delivery on 3/7. Waited a week or so, and called Gateway to check on status. They tell me they haven't received it. Round and round we go. Finally, on 3/24 I file a complaint with the local consumer affairs agency since Gateway is making no effort to find my computer.

Gateway still can't find it. I've traded several emails with the donkey from their "Executive Response Team" and now they claim that they lost it b/c I gave them the wrong serial number. Here's the best part: I gave them the serial number for the computer I returned to Best Buy, instead of the replacement computer I received. The problem is that I didn't buy the computer at Best Buy, and the only place I returned it to was Gateway.

The Execute Response Donkey is actually getting p!ssy with me about this. Won't return my calls, and the emails he sends are full of crap like this. I need to get creative. Creative as in, anyone here work for a major network, or high-up in the FTC? How about plays golf with the CEO of Gateway?

Thanks.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
Note the Red Un-Smiley face.

Here's the cliff notes version: Bought a computer last October, problems, tech support back and forth, etc. etc. In late February they tell me I need to send it back for service, after installing the new hard drive didn't fix the problem. I sent the computer back on 3/3, FedEx confirms delivery on 3/7. Waited a week or so, and called Gateway to check on status. They tell me they haven't received it. Round and round we go. Finally, on 3/24 I file a complaint with the local consumer affairs agency since Gateway is making no effort to find my computer.

Gateway still can't find it. I've traded several emails with the donkey from their "Executive Response Team" and now they claim that they lost it b/c I gave them the wrong serial number. Here's the best part: I gave them the serial number for the computer I returned to Best Buy, instead of the replacement computer I received. The problem is that I didn't buy the computer at Best Buy, and the only place I returned it to was Gateway.

The Execute Response Donkey is actually getting p!ssy with me about this. Won't return my calls, and the emails he sends are full of crap like this. I need to get creative. Creative as in, anyone here work for a major network, or high-up in the FTC? How about plays golf with the CEO of Gateway?

Thanks.
Are you being an a-hole about it with them? If not you probably aren't talking to the right people. Escalate until you get to the right level. Use the PHONE--emails are easier to ignore.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,399 Posts
"FedEx confirms delivery on 3/7"
????
Since you have proof of delivery, what's the problem? Does FedEx get someone to sign for things like UPS does? Can you track the shipment, like you can with UPS?

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bocephus Jones II said:
Are you being an a-hole about it with them? If not you probably aren't talking to the right people. Escalate until you get to the right level. Use the PHONE--emails are easier to ignore.
Oh, I've talked with everyone in the damn company at this point. The first level is friendly and give the appearance that they want to help you. From there, each level up only becomes more un-helpful.

The Executive Respose Donkey doesn't answer the phone, and does not return calls. The nice thing about email is that it's a virtual transcript.

MR_GRUMPY said:
"FedEx confirms delivery on 3/7"
????
Since you have proof of delivery, what's the problem? Does FedEx get someone to sign for things like UPS does? Can you track the shipment, like you can with UPS?
Yep. I've tracked it. They actually would check on FedEx's website while I was on the phone and say, "oh, we received it on 3/7..." They lost the computer in their own warehouse it seems.

Through some research and some google-fu, I figured out how to email their executives. Email sent this morning, and I've already received an email, a voicemail and a commitment to have this resolved this afternoon.

Thanks, all.

·
ride-a-holic
288 Posts
I hope they get it worked out..

Brick Tamland said:
Oh, I've talked with everyone in the damn company at this point. The first level is friendly and give the appearance that they want to help you. From there, each level up only becomes more un-helpful.

The Executive Respose Donkey doesn't answer the phone, and does not return calls. The nice thing about email is that it's a virtual transcript.

Yep. I've tracked it. They actually would check on FedEx's website while I was on the phone and say, "oh, we received it on 3/7..." They lost the computer in their own warehouse it seems.

Through some research and some google-fu, I figured out how to email their executives. Email sent this morning, and I've already received an email, a voicemail and a commitment to have this resolved this afternoon.

Thanks, all.
My wife and I have owned 3 Gateway computers, Desktop and laptop varietys, and never had any probs.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
I figured out how to email their executives. Email sent this morning, and I've already received an email, a voicemail and a commitment to have this resolved this afternoon.

Thanks, all.
yup...you got to the right people--the ERD was just a roadblock to you--you can bet he got his ass chewed for ignoring you. Big companies don't want to get the rep for bad service and usually it just takes a customer getting to the right level of authority to resolve it.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Just notify them through registered mail that you are extremely unsatisfied with their response and see no other choice than to pursue legal action. Give them a day or two to respond, then sue them in small claims court. That's a long time to be without your computer, so I wouldn't be dicking around with them anymore. Play hardball.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ringroadwarrior said:
My wife and I have owned 3 Gateway computers, Desktop and laptop varietys, and never had any probs.
My prior computer was a Gateway, and that was why I went with them.

I've got to say that, based on my research into how to deal with this thing, poor customer service is a common complaint for Gateway, Dell, HP and Compaq. Apple seems to have a better reputation, but you find people who have the same complaints agains them. I used to assume that was b/cpeople are p!ssed off b/c the computer doesn't work. Now I know better.

It was very discouraging with the consumer affairs folks pretty much said "lemme guess, Gateway has no idea where your computer is? Pretty much the same thing we hear about Dell...."

Lesson learned - buy from a local retailer and pay the $30.00 or whatever and get the extended warranty.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bocephus Jones II said:
yup...you got to the right people--the ERD was just a roadblock to you--you can bet he got his ass chewed for ignoring you. Big companies don't want to get the rep for bad service and usually it just takes a customer getting to the right level of authority to resolve it.
The thing is that they have gone a long ways towards not letting me to talk to anyone who can do anything beyond "look into it," and etc. I found this info on my own, and it ain't exactly public. I didn't just pull the email addresses off of gateway.com or something.

I hope the ERD gets fired, personally. He was, by far, the worst of the lot I've dealt with.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mohair_chair said:
Just notify them through registered mail that you are extremely unsatisfied with their response and see no other choice than to pursue legal action. Give them a day or two to respond, then sue them in small claims court. That's a long time to be without your computer, so I wouldn't be dicking around with them anymore. Play hardball.
I thought about going that route (I'm a lawyer) and let me tell you, court is not always your best option. As an attorney, I consider filing suit as my last ditch option. And the consumer affairs office will file suit on my behalf if Gateway doesn't resolve the complaint in another 15 days.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
The thing is that they have gone a long ways towards not letting me to talk to anyone who can do anything beyond "look into it," and etc. I found this info on my own, and it ain't exactly public. I didn't just pull the email addresses off of gateway.com or something.

I hope the ERD gets fired, personally. He was, by far, the worst of the lot I've dealt with.
Agree...if I was Gateway exec I'd make sure and have a good "come to jesus" meeting with him at minimum. Maybe there is an explanation, but it sounds as if someone lost the computer and they are giving you the runaround.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,399 Posts
If you're lucky, they might have totally lost your old computer, and have to give you a newer one.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Agree...if I was Gateway exec I'd make sure and have a good "come to jesus" meeting with him at minimum. Maybe there is an explanation, but it sounds as if someone lost the computer and they are giving you the runaround.
You're from Iowa. Don't you know everyone there? Give someone a call and fix this!

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
Got a new "Gasway" in November...

Werked fine UNITL... I started using it like a real puter. Back ups, installing new stuff, etc. Come to find out "Gasway" built this thing with incompatible HW, OS, BIOS and ended up losing everything including the corrupted backups.

Contacted Tech-sup and withing three days my puter was in thier hands. Sent it out on Friday, it was back in my hands on the following Wednesday. Werks fine now but still don't trust it! The techno geeks I talked to were up on the issues and knew about the specific problems and I have to say it's been one of the quickest "rebuilds" I've ever experienced unless I did them myself. I still don't like the puter cause I don't trust it and a Mac is on the horizon. NO more Gates or MS for me. The service, however, was first class with no BS.

Of course... I lost 2 years werth of data in the process caus the back up didn't understand it was a backup or know how to compute. What saved my butt was my network! Always back up on multiple drives on multiple machines. Learned the hard way...

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
mohair_chair said:
You're from Iowa. Don't you know everyone there? Give someone a call and fix this!
Technically I think Gateway is located in SD, but close enough...part of Sioux City is also in IA. I think I heard a couple of my ex-classmates were working there now, but I haven't talked to them since high school and we weren't exactly friends even then. :p

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
everydaybike said:
Got a new "Gasway" in November...

Contacted Tech-sup and withing three days my puter was in thier hands. Sent it out on Friday, it was back in my hands on the following Wednesday.
They originally told me 7-10 business days from when they told me to send it back. That timeframe continually shifted..."no, it's 7-10 days from when you send it back. No, wait, 7-10 days from when we receive it. No, 7-10 days from when we submit the work order. NO, 7-10...."

Ugh. I actually had one of their Tech Support Supervisors tell me that they shouldn't be giving out time estimates at all, as they really can't make any guess as to how long it will take to receive, repair and return your computer. :rolleyes:

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
They originally told me 7-10 business days from when they told me to send it back. That timeframe continually shifted..."no, it's 7-10 days from when you send it back. No, wait, 7-10 days from when we receive it. No, 7-10 days from when we submit the work order. NO, 7-10...."

Ugh. I actually had one of their Tech Support Supervisors tell me that they shouldn't be giving out time estimates at all, as they really can't make any guess as to how long it will take to receive, repair and return your computer. :rolleyes:
Well if it makes you feel better I'm having a similar experience with a Festina watch I sent in for warranty. I followed web instructions and then waited. Called them after a couple weeks and they couldn't find the watch so I told them to look into it and let me know what was up. Got a call saying they needed "handling" fee to process it. Their website says specifically that they will pay shipping and handling for return trip. When I questioned the lady (from NJ so her accent was especially obnoxious) about this she said they started charging because of price increases. I told her they should indicate this on their website then. In any event I didn't quibble--it was a $5 charge. Gave em my credit card a week ago and so far no word of the watch. Gonna call em if it isn't here be week's end. AHHHHHH...hate bad customer service.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bocephus Jones II said:
Well if it makes you feel better I'm having a similar experience with a Festina watch I sent in for warranty. I followed web instructions and then waited. Called them after a couple weeks and they couldn't find the watch so I told them to look into it and let me know what was up. Got a call saying they needed "handling" fee to process it. Their website says specifically that they will pay shipping and handling for return trip. When I questioned the lady (from NJ so her accent was especially obnoxious) about this she said they started charging because of price increases. I told her they should indicate this on their website then. In any event I didn't quibble--it was a $5 charge. Gave em my credit card a week ago and so far no word of the watch. Gonna call em if it isn't here be week's end. AHHHHHH...hate bad customer service.
Take notes - who you spoke to and when. Its a PITA, but it pays off in the end.

Ask for specific details, where when etc. If they can't give specifics, they're bs-ing you.

I feel like I could write a book on this at this point. I should shut up now.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the sake of full disclosure...

Computer showed up via Fed Ex at my house, 8:30 in the AM. Computer appears to be in working order, and Gateway's trying to figger out what else they can do for me.

:)

Too bad I had to email the effin CEO. :mad: Oh, and the Executive Response Team just emailed me and said that he was turning it over to the "executives who set up the executive response team." :rolleyes: Thanks for the effort, sparky!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts