Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be visiting for a week. Any good places to ride. 50 to 100 mile loops with some good climbs perhaps?

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
I live in East TN, and visit Gatlinburg often. It is a very congested area. Tons of motor homes, motorcycles and tourists on cell phones. The area is pretty but you will need to be extremely careful riding around there.

The roads are only two lanes winding around all of the parks. It is very pretty, but I would never ride my bike around there.

One area that would be fun would be Cades Cove. Its an area that they actually close off to cars early in the morning and you can ride your bike around. It would only be a 10-15 mile ride though.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
Homebrew, I did a couple of rides out of Gatlinburg last September as part of the Bicycle Ride Across Tennessee. PM me your email address, and I'll send you the cuesheets on Monday when I'm back in my office.

I didn't find the congestion that bad to be honest, but that wasn't a peak season. Some of our group did the climb up to Clingman's Dome and, despite lots of warnings about the traffic on the descent, nobody had any problems. It certainly helps if you ride early in the day. My bf and I are staying in Townsend, TN for a few days the first week in May and plan to ride a bit.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
There was a nearly identical post about a year ago that I, and several others responded to, I'll try to find it and give it a bump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.