Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to road biking. Needing new tires. 6'2" 195lbs masher
running some Mavic Aksiums. Have my tires narrowed to 2 choices:

1 Specialized Armadillos

2 Continental Ultra gatorskins.

Both are about the same price, have about the same review - gators seem lighter

Would there be an advantage to a wire bead vs a foldable tire ?
What type of tubes are you guys running ?
Cheapest place to find them ?

I currently ride approx 50 mile a week on relatively clean asphalt roads.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know that when my old college team held a race, part of it was on a gravel road, and a week before the race the county laid down new large/sharp rocks, most of the team was running 25C armadillos and didn't have any flats, there were a other racers with gatorskins that got flats.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Armadillos are horrible excuses for tires. They ride like garden hoses, and you'll still flat. You won't find any good deals on them, since they are only sold through Specialized.

Why are you so concerned about flatting if you ride on clean asphalt roads? Why not choose something nice. Life is too short for Armadillos.

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
25c gator skin is probably a good choice. If you want to pay up a bit to save some weight then the kevlar bead (foldable) will do that.

They are not flat proof, but my experience with ultra flat resistance tires is that they ride like complete crap. 25c gator rides OK and I've had pretty good luck with them as far as flats.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I have a set of Gatorskins on right now and love them.

The foldable tires (Kevlar Bead) will be about 50 grams per tire lighter than the wire bead version, but cost a few bucks more. I hear the wire bead can be harder to mount, but have not tried them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm with Filtersweep, the Armadillo is aweful. I've punctured it twice, once with a tiny tiny piece of glass and the other was a staple. And Armadillos don't like climbing in wet weather... My buddy ran the Conti Gators, and flatted three times in a month.. I'm wondering if maybe it's not a matter of what tire, but how good your luck is...

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
If you are riding on clean roads, I would go for the Conti GP 4000s. Probikekit.com has very good prices on them. Get the folding/kevlar beads; they're a lot lighter. At your size, you also should be getting 700 x 25s. You'll get better wear and a better ride.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The gatorskins are great tires. I rode about 1500 miles on a set last summer and had zero flats.

By claiming this, I've of course doomed myself to a summer full of flats this year.

Hoffman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts