Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used Cytomax and accelerade with some success. I've recently tried Gatorade's Endurane formula (basically Gatorade with double the sodium) and I've had better success with that. I ride in Arizona and am usually covered in salt after I'm done riding so maybe the extra sodium is helping me, but on both recent "Gatorade Endurance" rides, I never ran out of gas.

Has any one else has similar experiences?

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
The problem with Gatorade endurance to me is that it's still essentially Gatorade -- 50 calories per 8 oz, but sickly sweet. I tend to want water, if I'm looking for hydration, or, if I'm looking for liquid calorie replacement, a highly concentrated, low-taste Maltodextrin-type sports drink.

Studies do show that a hypotonic beverage which is relatively low in carbohydrate and high in sodium causes fastest moisture replacement.

How long were the rides, and in what kind of conditions? If you're a heavy sweater, doing long rides with lots of climbs in the hot sun, I can see how that would make a big difference.

· Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first ride was 35 miles of hills. temps ranging from 70 to 95 degrees.

The second ride was 50 miles with hills again, same temp range.

I did the same rides on accelerade and cytomax and didn't have the power at the finish. My next step will be to try it on a century.

· Registered
91 Posts
I had rather good luck with Gatorade Endurance at a ~55 mile hilly road race, temps in the high 60s and low 70s. I typically use Gatorade, and in the same flavor, and after a free coupon and a small mini mart en route to the race, I tried it out the hard way.

I found it to be pretty good, a bit better than "regular" gatorade when it comes to being too sweet. I water it down anyway, but if anything I found it "smoother" and easier on my stomach.

I still prefer GU20 when it's really hot out, but this did fine for me, and it was free...

· Registered
277 Posts
just a FYI - you can buy plain [pure] maltodextrin to add to whatever sports drink to make them more calorie rich - I take 1 bottle of cytomax or gatorade w/ additional malto added & that gives a noticable boost vs. standard sports drinks on extended rides (3+ hrs).

I did see that powerbar came out w/ a new gel that has more sodium in it. I'd think that if hyper sweating is a concern (i.e. riding in AZ) you could just add salt to a regular sports drink for extra Na.

· Registered
21 Posts
I've tried it a few times and found that it just makes me more and more thirsty. After the first time I used it and noticed this, I read up on it and low and behold... that is intentional. Part of the reason for the high sodium content is to make you thirsty so you will drink more. Makes logical sense, but doesn't work for me because I end up drinking too much and drain my bottles way too quickly. So I will use it on hot days when I am only going to be out for 60 or 90 minutes, but beyond that I am sticking with my previous drink combinations.

· Registered
240 Posts
First cytomax experience on Saturday. I have to say, it tastes awesome in the lemon lime (green) flavor. As for the anti cramping, make me go faster, kill my enemies properties, I guess it didn't make me puke, which is more than I can say for GU2O.

Overall, sports drinks are a way to supplement calories and minerals. If they taste good, I drink. If they taste bad, I get dehydrated and bonk. I like a variety in my diet, so I bring a bottle of GA Endurance and cytomax (previously water). Utah's starting to heat up, so I need lots 'o salt.

Here's when I cramp:
If I'm not acclimatized to the heat.
If I'm not properly hydrated.
If I drank a wine with lots of tannins the night before the event.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.