Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted here. I think last time I visited was over 2 years ago, and I was mainly riding an entry level aluminum bike that I bought from bikesdirect. Since then, I've upgraded to a carbon bike (Fuji Grandfondo with 105s) last year, and more recently, bought a set of Reynolds R-Four wheels (which I believe is the Performance Bicycle version of the Reynolds Assault C).

Anywhoo, since I bought the wheels, I thought I'd get some new tyres as well, especially since the front is looking a little worn. As a general rule, I am willing to sacrifice a little speed to get better puncture resistance. I'd rather ride a little bit slower overall, than to have to stop in the middle of a century ride to change a flat. I've been running Gatorskins for the past year, and have been happy with their performance. But my LBS has been recommending the new Armadillo Elite (folding), saying the new version has better rolling resistance. I checked out the specs, and they are about 75g heavier than the gators (315 vs 240 in the 25mm size). Anyone have any thoughts about it?

I'm pretty light (under 125 lbs), and the front gatorskin I have right now is over 2 seasons old, having moved it from my old aluminum bike when I got my Fuji.

EDIT: I just check my Strava profile, and realized that my front tire has over 5000 miles on it. :blush2:

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Don't know about the new Armadillo Elite. The old Armadillo had a reputation for being sluggish.

Personally, I swear by Maxxis Re-Fuse. They are nearly bombproof.

5000 miles on a front isn't terribly unusual. Your rear tire will wear at least twice as fast as your front since that is where most of your weight and all of your drive forces are. What I do is when my rear tire wears out, I chuck it, put the existing front on the rear and put a brand new tire on the front. That way, my newest safest tire is always on the front.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
EDIT: I just check my Strava profile, and realized that my front tire has over 5000 miles on it.
Not an issue at all. Front tires experience essentially zero wear. I put 6K miles on a front tire and it lost zero weight - no tread rubber wore off. Tire wear comes from the scrubbing action of passing power between the bike and the road, whether it is braking or pedaling. You would have to do an IMMENSE amount of braking to compare to the forces passing through the rear tire.

Front tires can age, craze, crack, and get all cut up. But they don't "wear out" from losing tread rubber.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts