Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a road bike but like most other people I'm on a budget. Im 20 years old have been riding mountain bikes since I can remember. I know everyone says go to a local bike shop to get fitted, etc. I went and they all brought out $1,000+ bikes just trying to put me out the door with something I feel I don't need. I have absolutely no problems putting bikes together and taking them apart. I've grown to avoid local bike shops. Sorry for any shop owners reading my thread. Anyway...

I was fitted on a 52cm frame at both shops. One shop put me on a high end Giant the other a Cannondale caad9 52cm. How much does a road bike vary on effective horizontal top tube length from frame to frame? Along with basic frame geometry?

Now, the Gavin bikes (www.gavinbikes.com) look very well spec'd for the price. Has anyone used one of these bikes/frames? What do you think? Only catch I see is what if something goes wrong with the frame, website says lifetime warranty. They use 7005Al, is this good for a road bike? Does anyone know the weight of the full bikes I like the Nuovo.

Any input is helpful Thanks alot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
rob.char said:
I want to buy a road bike but like most other people I'm on a budget. Im 20 years old have been riding mountain bikes since I can remember. I know everyone says go to a local bike shop to get fitted, etc. I went and they all brought out $1,000+ bikes just trying to put me out the door with something I feel I don't need. I have absolutely no problems putting bikes together and taking them apart. I've grown to avoid local bike shops. Sorry for any shop owners reading my thread. Anyway...

I was fitted on a 52cm frame at both shops. One shop put me on a high end Giant the other a Cannondale caad9 52cm. How much does a road bike vary on effective horizontal top tube length from frame to frame? Along with basic frame geometry?

Now, the Gavin bikes (www.gavinbikes.com) look very well spec'd for the price. Has anyone used one of these bikes/frames? What do you think? Only catch I see is what if something goes wrong with the frame, website says lifetime warranty. They use 7005Al, is this good for a road bike? Does anyone know the weight of the full bikes I like the Nuovo.

Any input is helpful Thanks alot.
I've had a Gavin Acele for a couple of months now, and I'm more than satisfied with it. It rides well, is fast, has good components, a beautiful frame, and I haven't had any problems with it so far. I would definitely recommend going with a Gavin as opposed to the more popular brands like Trek. Treks are all well and good, but are extremely overpriced. A comparable Trek to my Gavin costs almost twice as much, yet they pretty much have all the same components (and when not the same, the Gavin has better). So when it comes down to it, if you buy a Trek that's comparable to my bike (like a 2.1), you're pretty much paying at least $500 for the "Trek" painted on the frame and some lesser quality components. I would definitely recommend getting a Gavin.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
WHOO HOO!

New meat.

This is just like the early days. Maybe in a year or two Garvin will have their own sub forum!

All kidding aside. A friend of mine was just talking about these at the shop the other day. Seems as though someone purchased one and it arrived in really poor condition. Took the lead mechanic hours to get it right. He also had some serious concerns with weld quality.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a Gavin Durus to complete a cancer ride event. I have been extremely pleased with the bike, several months of training and 200km over two days and not a single mechanical issue.

I have been a mountain biker for over a decade, and I ride higher end equipment, but I needed a decent budget bike for events like this, and the Gavin fit the bill perfectly and performed flawlessly, and trust me if it didn't it would be in the trash. I assembled two bikes in 1.5 hours, no issues on assembly.

In addition, I am a certified welding inspector in the oil and gas industry, and the welding on both the bikes we purchased would pass any day of the week. I wouldn't take the word of a bike shop employee on the quality of a bike that was not purchased in their store, definetely not on an excellently priced online bike that would steal their business if you catch my drift..............

·
Registered
163 Posts
Call me a cynical old coot, but of course this is all speculation...

New members with just "1" post all post glowing replies to Gavin bikes who happen to find this thread?

Lifeover with 2,586 post mentions and questions the quality of a Gavin bike weld, and then presto chango... a new member registers in 3 hours that happens to be a certified welder and a Gavin happy bike customer who then vouches for the weld quality of the frame?

Like I said, I can't say for sure that these post are planned replies, but I am just saying.
I used to work for a website company and the marketing dept hired internet street teams and viral marketers to infiltrate forum messageboards. This just looks very familar. The verbose and glowing testimonials, no photos of the actual product, specific replies to critical posts, members with just 1 or 2 posts with new registration dates, etc...

If I am wrong, then ignore my cynical thought and my apologies.
If I am right, then you need to be suave about going about this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No it's cool, I'm a complete cynic also, I have been a long time lurker, but yeah first time poster, but coincidentily a first time road rider also explaining why only one post.....I agree it totally looks suspicious.

Here is a link to the Ride to Conquer Cancer we did this past weekend, my profile....

https://www.conquercancer.ca/site/TR/Events/Alberta2009?px=1876206&pg=personal&fr_id=1282

Here is a pic of us at the finish.

And ah, what the heck, here are my API qualifications, 510 is pressure vessels and 570 is pressure piping, I work in Calgary, Gavin is in Florida, I can assure you I don't work for Gavin.....

https://qp.api.org/icpinspectorsearch/ICPResultsForm.asp?ID=11224

Oh and if you feel like sponsoring, we're doing it next year as well.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just noticed the other two folks who liked Gavin also only had 1 post, no wonder I looked like a spammer...........

I will post more pics of the bike later, and if anyone wants to come up to Calgary for next years ride we are recruiting!!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
This topic has been looking suspicious in my eyes as well. The in-depth response (no offense) also can raise suspicions if looked at in such a way. Even the reviews at their only online retailer (roadbikeoutlet.com, doesn't have much of a selection beyond Gavin) are of astronomical praise.

Anyhoo, I'm taking it that the lower prices come through the components. Their carbon bike runs with a mix of Tiagra/105 - something that I almost never see. The Nuovo looks like an Acele with some aero bars slapped on and lower grade components (2200...). Eh, not get going with bashing, but I wouldn't know of anyone who'd take them seriously. Only someone who's comepletely oblivious to cycling, on a budget, and wants to claim they've got a "Triathalon" or a "Racing Bike". Sorry. Not saying thier bikes are completely useless, though, as the rider has the bigger say in riding performance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No doubt the components are why the bike is affordable, you have to look beyond what the drivetrain is, and look at things like bottom bracket, hubs etc that are total no-name. I have never, and will never say Gavin bikes are competative with high priced road bikes, or state that they are racing bikes, I was basically just defending that the low price is not a result of poor quality.

My opinion of the bikes is that for someone on a budget, someone totally new to cycling, or someone like me that needs a road bike for 200km once per year they are a great option rather then buying used or dropping 2-3 times as much on a new trek-giant-specialized etc.

I'm out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
double a ron said:
No doubt the components are why the bike is affordable, you have to look beyond what the drivetrain is, and look at things like bottom bracket, hubs etc that are total no-name. I have never, and will never say Gavin bikes are competative with high priced road bikes, or state that they are racing bikes, I was basically just defending that the low price is not a result of poor quality.

My opinion of the bikes is that for someone on a budget, someone totally new to cycling, or someone like me that needs a road bike for 200km once per year they are a great option rather then buying used or dropping 2-3 times as much on a new trek-giant-specialized etc.

I'm out.
I agree with Ron. I know I'm a brand new, 1 time post which is pretty suspicious sorry. I just bought a Gavin Acele a week and a half ago. It got to Olathe Kansas in 6 days, i took it to the bike shop and it was ready to ride 8 days after I ordered it. I took it out for the first time today and it was amazing. I spent a total of 750 bucks between the bike, extra tube, bottle cage, cat-eye, under seat bag, tools for bike, and the labor to put it all together. It has 105 derailuer in the back, and the rest is tiagra. I also had the local bike shop weight it and it was 23.4 after everything was added on (I ride a 58 cm).

I know this is suspicious, sorry like i said before. Also I just want to say today was my first time ever on a road bike, but so far my experience has been awesome. Great deal, Fast shipping, bike came in perfect condition, and ride number 1 i only mildy slowed down my buddy that has a FELT with dura-ace/ultregra components that has been riding for about 6 months now.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
double a ron said:

I'm out.
Aaron is legit. The other guys, not so much!!! Just perused Aaron's blog- congrats on the ride and glad to read that your wife beat cancer!!! I can't imagine what you and your wife went through but I hope no one has to in the near future. Someday, cancer will be a thing of the past. Thanks for sharing and keep coming by RBR to say hi and join in on the conversations! Ride ON!!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'll never look at a Gavin bike based solely on some of the responses on this thread. Planting shills on a forum that's designed to give honest appraisals is about as slimey as it gets.

Two early on and then one more recently just to drag the thread out of zombie land.

Double A Ron. You seem legit and good work with the charity!

As far as Gavin bikes go... don't buy one unless you like companies that employ sleazy marketing techniques.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hyberbole?! From a seller? Or a maker? How unheard of..."our Walks On Water carbon is superior to NASA standards..we put Lance on the Moon!"
Come off it, you lot, you paid too much and hate it.
Along comes a bargain basement brand and you wilt.
Make a Million posts. Or 2 million. Credibility is not about volubility.
Go ride over the Wolf Creek pass...on your Malvin Star fixed wheel.
Love, MountainExpress

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gavin..why I'm their CEO!

I have been on 2 wheels since 1968, but never once worked for Gavin cycles. If they wanted someone to join their team I'd be happy, since the entire cycling world knows that current bikes have become laughable in price terms. Everyone knows this but few have courage to admit it. The zoom factor on advertising material has gone to childish lengths in recent decades. Everyone also knows that a great rider will do well anyway. A well-prepared athlete will prevail, the truly talented will soar. The bike is just a conveyance. Lance rides stock by the way (I had to say that. That fine man has become a cipher, as if great tourists before him never existed. The "wanker" factor in public relations is also too high. We should tell them to their faces: "you are full of merde.")
True riders know I speak with whole heart on these matters. The rest are yuppies on pricey puppies.

Now, go climb over K2 on your 1910 steel-framed Ornithopter or bust.

·
Registered
43 Posts
there is a positive and negative feedback on this bikes:
Positive: this bikes might have decent performance. as for the value they may become like the motobecane that were so cheap and then just recently went very high in value.
Negative: this might be a cheap bike that never makes it, also the resale value will always be much lower than a used reputable brand so probably not the best investment if you want to sell it down the road.
I guess we'll have to wait and see. curios if there are any honest riders out there who have used these bikes for sometime now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The one thing I know is true, that even though something like a Gavin Linea may be the only way a normal person ()normal income) without sponsorship will ever own a carbon framed bike, there is a downside. That is year-on-year production. A better-known brand will have a new model, trying to keep up with the other makers. Someone like Gavin can decide "oh, well, we're just not making a Linea for 2010..it's our 2009 model." Oh, I see. Right. Why? I don't get it. They have a chance to open up a market to people who want to race at their best on a quality bike, then can it, by cutting availability of their best machine. Seems nuts to me. Thanks to all the previous posters too, you guys can put up with my jokes. But I am hot under the collar about prices. I do believe we all pay too much.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts