Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this link works! If for any other reason, watch it for the custom frame! Gorgeous is damned by faint praise... The bike is truly spectacular. The tubes, the paint, the lugs... A work of art! Maybe, as a white with red paint Merckx I’m biased, but it’s a great video. Again, I hope it works!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Link did not work. You need to subscribe to GCN in order to view it....
Thanks, I was afraid of that. Of course it worked for me when I checked it, but I am obviously a subscriber. I’m not savvy enough to figure out how to post it from behind the pay wall, if that’s even possible?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
It's subscription only.

They have a preview on Youtube.

It is a nice looking bike. Did we really need a investigation into whether modern bikes are faster than a 1969 steel bike? However, if GCN were willing to give me one of those to bikes, it would be an easy call - the Merckx over the soulless, drab-gray plastic bike

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ride whatever bike you want. Nobody cares.

But as retro legend Sid Barras said in the video... "If in my day I could've ridden that (carbon bike) and not that (steel Mercx) I'd have won 70% of my races"
Yeah, well that's definitive... There's a lot more going on there than steel vs carbon frame, components probably are the biggest factor.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, well that's definitive... There's a lot more going on there than steel vs carbon frame, components probably are the biggest factor.
The group is clearly contributing the most. The steel bike also gives away 6.5 lbs to its CF competitor. That’s pushing 30% of the total weight of the CF build. Also, the rider wasn’t training on that 5 speed group like the folks who rode it in it’s prime... They rode that group all the time so the mashing was conditioned in their legs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
I agree with this whole heartedly.

A few years ago I invested in a carbon bike with a 10spd groupset. Rode it better than a year and finally decided that the frame wasn't the big improvement but the transmission was.

I updated the group on the steel bike that the carbon replaced, and went back to the steel. After confirming, to myself, that it was the transmission and not the frame that I found to be the improvement I moved the group over to a new steel Della Santa frame.

I've been happily riding steel since, with no thoughts about carbon.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Yea, like my soup for lunch is way better cooked over a stove or campfire (smokie flavor for free) than using a microwave, totally!!! Old obsolete stuff is aways way better, like traveling by riverboat & horse & buggy! Who needs AC, just open a window!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,153 Posts
The group is clearly contributing the most. The steel bike also gives away 6.5 lbs to its CF competitor. That’s pushing 30% of the total weight of the CF build.
Exaggeration, don't you think? :rolleyes: More like 2-3 lbs at most.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Exaggeration, don't you think? :rolleyes: More like 2-3 lbs at most.
A good steel frameset from that era probably weighs about 6.5lbs total. High-end carbon framesets are maybe 900 grams (2 lbs). With lighter wheels and components it is possible the total weight difference could be 6+lbs. Of course a modern steel bike would be much less. I realize some people feel weight is the most critical parameter of a bike. For an old, recreational rider like myself, its not

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,153 Posts
A good steel frameset from that era probably weighs about 6.5lbs total. High-end carbon framesets are maybe 900 grams (2 lbs). With lighter wheels and components it is possible the total weight difference could be 6+lbs. Of course a modern steel bike would be much less. I realize some people feel weight is the most critical parameter of a bike. For an old, recreational rider like myself, its not
Exactly! Much less expensive to lose 6 lbs off the engine. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts