Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reviving the “where do I watch cycling” thread... Is anyone using the GCN subscription? It looks really interesting but the site is confusing. Are the documentaries an extra package subscription? It’s tough right now with NBC kind of in the dark about their races... GCN says they have both live and on demand coverage? That’s great! Reasonable price as well. Looks like I can watch it via the app on Apple TV like I did with FUBU and many others... I miss track racing so that looks like a real incentive.

Sorry for beating the dead horse, hopefully not beating the dead sport...

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Don't know, but I'm looking at picking it up for this year to check it out, esp with the February price deal. They have said they are working on an app for Roku which would be great.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just saw an ad for GCN. I'm keeping them in mind for cycling season.
I’m going to sign up and pay the $25.00 and check it out. I’ll report back... haha

Reactions: KoroninK

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Reviving the “where do I watch cycling” thread... Is anyone using the GCN subscription? It looks really interesting but the site is confusing. Are the documentaries an extra package subscription? It’s tough right now with NBC kind of in the dark about their races... GCN says they have both live and on demand coverage? That’s great! Reasonable price as well. Looks like I can watch it via the app on Apple TV like I did with FUBU and many others... I miss track racing so that looks like a real incentive.

Sorry for beating the dead horse, hopefully not beating the dead sport...
What races does it cover? TdF?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
What races does it cover? TdF?
They have the Italian races (including the Giro), and it appears some of the Spanish races. They won't have any races for the US that NBC has US broadcast rights for and won't have races that FloBikes has rights for.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,488 Posts
They have the Italian races (including the Giro), and it appears some of the Spanish races. They won't have any races for the US that NBC has US broadcast rights for and won't have races that FloBikes has rights for.
This year....Flobikes has basically no rights to any bicycle races, last I checked. Basically their entire cycling calendar is unavailable in the US. Hence I cancelled my Flo subscript.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure this link will work, but it’s the USA calendar from the website. I’m going to check out the Tour de Provence today. I watched a season preview show last night. It worked OK once it loaded, it took 2 or 3 tries starting over but then it was fine. There isn’t an Apple TV app that I could I find. I cast it from my phone. A little clunky...

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Not sure this link will work, but it’s the USA calendar from the website. I’m going to check out the Tour de Provence today. I watched a season preview show last night. It worked OK once it loaded, it took 2 or 3 tries starting over but then it was fine. There isn’t an Apple TV app that I could I find. I cast it from my phone. A little clunky...

So there does seem to be a lot of content but not the big tours. How are you streaming it? Chromecast?

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So there does seem to be a lot of content but not the big tours. How are you streaming it? Chromecast?
I view it on my iPhone and cast it to Apple TV. I’m hoping that between GCN and NBC I’ll get the whole UCI calendar?

·
Super Moderator
19,472 Posts

Wait. They only have highlights for the Tour and the Vuelta.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah... Still need NBC.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
How do we get VPN into the EU?
You need a VPN provider located in the country that has access to the content. You can do a search on "Global VPN" or "international VPN" and you will get many hits. I imagine doing this violtes the terms of service with the content provider and I'm not sure it's any cheaper than just getting the NBC coverage

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I’m no expert... I have looked into this option and it’s clunky in practice (I think), others will be better able to address what I saw as shortcomings... Time zones... On demand viewing is a priority for me. I’m also not interested in investing much time and energy in understanding making this work... That’s not a criticism, not by any means, that’s just stuff I have no interest in or affinity for. Plenty of folks on RBR use this method. If it’s an upside, it does make you kind of invisible online?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I’m no expert... I have looked into this option and it’s clunky in practice (I think), others will be better able to address what I saw as shortcomings... Time zones... On demand viewing is a priority for me. I’m also not interested in investing much time and energy in understanding making this work... That’s not a criticism, not by any means, that’s just stuff I have no interest in or affinity for. Plenty of folks on RBR use this method. If it’s an upside, it does make you kind of invisible online?
I've had good luck with PureVPN (Get PureVPN at amazing discounts), multiple UK servers to choose from as you sometimes have to change server to find one that passes the geo-filter.

Originally when I started using Eurosport, the time zone thing was a real issue. It was hit or miss if you could actually figure out what local time some race would be on, especially trying to look at the schedule and then work back to your local time. I think they were somehow trying to do something to correct the times but they did it wrong, at least to the point it was hard to figure out when a given race would be on, for sure not just subtract X hours and call it good. And it was the sort of issue you can't just contact customer support and say "It's hard to watch your content here in the US due to this time zone issue".

Eurosport finally sorted all that out in the last few years and the times are correct, although I've not found a long range schedule like they used to have. But they have added a lot more recap episodes during the day and often have on-demand playbacks on the major events. In fact they now seem to have the entire race coverage on replay after the race finishes.

I usually get the hang of figuring out what time zone a race is being held and then what time the coverage is likely to start, usually between 6AM and 8AM Pacific). But it's not like programming your DVR to record a given broadcast like I used to do in the old days when I had Direct and the sports package..

Not sure what GCN+ does with the time zone differences, though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts