Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I’ve been casting from my phone to the TV. It dropped out 5 times today. Now a huge deal, I could reload it and skim back to where it cut out. Picture was fabulous.
I have never found Chromecast to be the most reliable way to get stuff on your tv. Better to have the app running on your smart tv if possible. I dont understand why its an issue. It seems pretty simple in concept. You are just forwarding packets of video data to your Chromecast device and it renders them. Doesn't seem hard

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Is that the same as mirroring my iPhone with Apple TV? I may not be using the proper terminology... I open the GCN app on my phone and go to racing TV. I open the race then I pull up the option to mirror my phone to Apple TV. Not sure why it’s losing the data periodically?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Is that the same as mirroring my iPhone with Apple TV? I may not be using the proper terminology... I open the GCN app on my phone and go to racing TV. I open the race then I pull up the option to mirror my phone to Apple TV. Not sure why it’s losing the data periodically?
I was having trouble using that configuration for some apps. I developed a theory that my WiFi was getting overloaded. Download the feed through the WiFi router, send it back to the WiFi router for retransmission to the AppleTV. I never ran the numbers to see if the theory made sense, but here’s what I did.

I installed a tp-link Ethernet-over-power device at the AppleTV box. It sends signals over the power lines in the home to a companion device located the WiFi router. The two tp- link boxes are attached with wired Ethernet cables to the AppleTV and WiFi router. There is also a mini WiFi router in the tp-link box. The tp-link boxes are cheap, like $45 on Amazon. My dropouts and cutouts have gone away.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That’s good, I think? I’m gone after “WiFi overloaded.” Although I think that’s a factor? I wish I understood anything beyond that...

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I watched both the men's and women's races today later in the day after sleeping in and going on a run and they worked great. Fun races and I am thoroughly enjoying the commercial free service and not worrying about searching around the web to find the races I want to watch. No complaints from me yet either.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I watched both the men's and women's races today later in the day after sleeping in and going on a run and they worked great. Fun races and I am thoroughly enjoying the commercial free service and not worrying about searching around the web to find the races I want to watch. No complaints from me yet either.
Paris-Niece on NBC hasn’t had a hiccup. Perfect. Maybe it is WiFi over demand? But NBC isn’t being shaky at all...

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,749 Posts
Paris-Niece on NBC hasn’t had a hiccup. Perfect. Maybe it is WiFi over demand? But NBC isn’t being shaky at all...
Well...NBC had several years where their service was shit--and after their platform has matured a ton. Also, Paris Nice footage comes from the pros at ASO--who signed the exclusive with NBC in the USA this year.

This whole GCN/Eurosport collab is a new thing. Tirreno is mostly working well.

·
off the back
15,317 Posts
Anyone having issues with this lately? Been trying to catch up on Romandie this weekend, and every time I click on a replay to get it streaming, it begins to start and stop, and then the whole app just freezes.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Buggy. If anyone is looking through this thread to learn more about GCNs performance, check out the 2021 Giro thread. There is some excellent content on this topic over there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Buggy. If anyone is looking through this thread to learn more about GCNs performance, check out the 2021 Giro thread. There is some excellent content on this topic over there.

I wouldn't think streaming would be that complicated. I assume you would just buy that software not code it yourself. It has been working better for me than when I signed up

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I wouldn't think streaming would be that complicated. I assume you would just buy that software not code it yourself. It has been working better for me than when I signed up
Not sure what that even means. That’s not a cogent post. It’s been dropping and crappy every stage. The pre-show and post-show are good additions. They are obviously figuring out things as they go. They were clearly not ready to promote a Grand Tour. I’m not sure what your post means beyond the simplistic stuff I can reply.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,749 Posts
Has worked fine here on a desktop web browser. Apps on a mobile platform are always a problem

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Not sure what that even means. That’s not a cogent post. It’s been dropping and crappy every stage. The pre-show and post-show are good additions. They are obviously figuring out things as they go. They were clearly not ready to promote a Grand Tour. I’m not sure what your post means beyond the simplistic stuff I can reply.

There was some wine involved so maybe I did not explain it well! I was only addressing the streaming aspect not the coverage itself. What is meant is that lots of apps have tackled redirecting video to Chromecast/Firestick/Apple etc. I don't understand why the GCN app has trouble handling that as I imagine one can purchase software that supports that without having to develop it independently. While it has not worked flawlessly for me, it seems better that when they launched it

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
There was some wine involved so maybe I did not explain it well! I was only addressing the streaming aspect not the coverage itself. What is meant is that lots of apps have tackled redirecting video to Chromecast/Firestick/Apple etc. I don't understand why the GCN app has trouble handling that as I imagine one can purchase software that supports that without having to develop it independently. While it has not worked flawlessly for me, it seems better that when they launched it
Oh, that I get! Haha. Thanks!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts