Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Guys/Gals,

Need help. How Good are the BOB Trailers, I tour very selom, and the bob's seem to a good altenative compare to full racked out bike . for the near future, I would be touring rail to trails? are they good on road also?

Thanks

Kforum

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
MB and others use a BOB and love it. I just got a Burley Nomad, which was about $150 cheaper (if I remember correctly). I'm sure we could debate all day the pros and cons of one-wheeled vs. two-wheeled trailers ... I wouldn't know which is better until I try a BOB. But the Burley does hold more and I like how it connects to the bike and how it stays upright while you're loading it.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
BOB is the man.

kroettger1 said:
HI Guys/Gals,

Need help. How Good are the BOB Trailers, I tour very selom, and the bob's seem to a good altenative compare to full racked out bike . for the near future, I would be touring rail to trails? are they good on road also?

Thanks

Kforum
We use ours way more than we thought we would when we first bought it. BOB-not just for touring any more.

BTW I wouldn't bother with the suspension model unless you are doing real mountain biking. Dirt roads and trails are no problem for us with the standard BOB.

BTW2 Even though you aren't carrying the weight of your stuff with a BOB trailer you are still pulling and pushing it so you are going to need the gear range and brake quality of a touring bike.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
I love my BOB. I've twiced pulled it WAY OVERLOADED down the Cheseapeake and Ohio tow path in MD. IThe trail is a combo of dirt, mud, railroad ballast, and gravel. I've had no issues other then I want a center stand or something to stand it up when I stop the bike.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I really like Burley trailers too.

If it wasn't for memories of getting stuck at the entrance of a bike trail on PCH and having to unload the trailer before lifting over the way too narrow entrance (twice-once in each direction) I never would have bothered with BOB.

Now that I have a BOB I'd have to say that the BOB is better for long trips and at speed. The Burley sure is nice and stable though-really noticable at parking lot speeds.

Your point about the Burley staying upright at stops is a good one but I don't find that either trailer attachment system is better than the other-they are both first rate.

·
Urbane
359 Posts
kroettger1 said:
HI Guys/Gals,

Thanks

Kforum

B.O.B Beast of Burden. We have toured with ours, grocery, carried tricycle for kid, toted beer...just about anything. Works well over most terrrain. We have a burley for our child, it is more noticible when loaded with same weight than the B.O.B.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
I Love my BOB!

kroettger1 said:
HI Guys/Gals,

Thanks

Kforum
I have the BOB Coz, the heavier model with the rain-proof plastic container to stow your gear. It is great! I can haul a trunk-load of groceries in it! But it does make it harder for you to haul your bike up stairs, over curbs, etc., so be aware of that. You cannot just toss your bike on your shoulder and go.

- FBB

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bob is the deal

Though the stability of a two wheeled trailer can be nice, I think that the bob does handle better under a similar load. Works well with 26in, road, and 29er bikes. 29er only if you have the longer fork mounts.
I've designed a kick stand system, in my head at least, that I think will make the trailer more stable for loading and unloading. Now all I need are two aluminum kick stands and a new hacksaw blade. LOL. Seriously, here's my idea, you take two kick stands, mount them near rails up at the front end of the trailer, then cut to length so they barely touch the ground when the trailer is mounted on the bike. Once loaded, you kick one into the up position, then walk around and kick the other one up just before mounting. I figure you'll lose an inch and a half of clearance at the front end of the trailer, but over all it should work.
Loading and unleading are the only real issues with the bob, and I think it can be fixed.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
MB1 said:
Your point about the Burley staying upright at stops is a good one but I don't find that either trailer attachment system is better than the other-they are both first rate.
My LBS has a Burley Nomad sitting there and it has been tempting me. I think the Burley would be the better choice for errand running/grocery hauling, because of the loading issue.

However for touring I definitely think I'd want the narrower BOB.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The longer your wheelbase is , the more weight you can carry with comfort. Did 500 miles with 45lbs. one year and it was sketchy. Next year I tried it with a shorter wheelbase bike and quit after 70 miles. I would recommend a 2-wheel trailer for all- around enjoyment.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
The tracking of the BOB is what makes the difference for me. The BOB wheel follows mine perfectly even around the rim of a mud pitt on the C&O.

Potential Roadkill. In terms of the kickstand. I think the key to stability on a kickstand setup for the BOB is to mount a long kickstand to the upper rails; otherwise I had though of something similar to what you describe.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
zeytin said:
Potential Roadkill. In terms of the kickstand. I think the key to stability on a kickstand setup for the BOB is to mount a long kickstand to the upper rails; otherwise I had though of something similar to what you describe.
'Course, the trailer itself can act as a kickstand. If you pivot the trailer and the bicycle so that they form a small angle, then the trailer will keep the bicycle upright.

- FBB

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
fbagatelleblack said:
'Course, the trailer itself can act as a kickstand. If you pivot the trailer and the bicycle so that they form a small angle, then the trailer will keep the bicycle upright.

- FBB
I am so nervous about all that weight on my rear drop-outs. I use mine with my single-speed 1981 Trek and I'm afraid I might damage it.

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
I've never toured or ridden with panniers, but I've done some riding with a Yakima Big Tow (very similar 1 wheeled trailer like the bob, it is no longer made). My wife and I have ridden the Katy Trail on our tandem pulling the trailer and never had any issues w/ the trailer. I'm not sure how other rails-to-trails are, but the Katy Trail has wooden gates to block access to the trail for vehicles and ATV's etc.. that leave approx 32" wide open space to pass through; there were no problem negotiating the bike / trailer through these at speed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the weight on the dropouts

zeytin said:
I am so nervous about all that weight on my rear drop-outs. I use mine with my single-speed 1981 Trek and I'm afraid I might damage it.
I've had mine for 10+ years, used it with aluminum (a ten year old aluminum C-dale that's just waiting to disintergrate) and steel framed bikes and never had issue with the weight on the dropouts. The weight is focused down, and with a properly tightened quick release or bob nuts type attachment there's no way it would come off, or damage the bike I'm thinking.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
http://www.extrawheel.com/index_en.php anyone have experience with these? I am thinking about a trail this spring and it's gonna be BOB or maybe that. The "fork" is simular to the BOB but the attachment and adjustment is pretty cool. Check out the vids.

Seems that the Extrawheel might be a good rig for touring with the big wheel and all. But maybe the bob would be better for runs to the grocery store.

Although a friend of mine recommends a child trailer for grocery store runs.

I'll take one of each please.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.