Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I am slowly but surely getting set up for commuting. Bought the Bianchi Volpe, complete with fenders, lights (albeit "safety lights"), rack, and now Ortlieb panniers. I find it cumbersome to travel with panniers only. I board a bus that hauls me up the freeway so I do not have to log an additional 60 miles round trip. Right now change of office clothes and short sleeve shirt, lunch, etc. go into one pannier. I envision in the dead of winter traveling with both panniers to “balance” the load.

Finally, here is the question; I need a small bag that is waterproof, doesn’t move around, and I can attach to my body or bike rack that allows easy access to things such as cash/bus pass, celly, shades, meds, romance novel, maybe a rain shell and pants for spring and fall, and other worldly belongings. I like Chrome bags but the cost is a bit high (you get what you pay for, eh), Timbuk2, size small, messenger bag (has the added strap so the load “won’t shift”, and a bit more manageable cost wise. Currently, I have a Timbuk2 Pork Chop that would work, yet it flops around.

What are the options that meet the above criteria?

Thanks for your patience (I tend to be a bit breathy after 4 cups of coffee).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rack Trunk?

Is there a reason you can't use a rack trunk? More easily-accessible than panniers, and can be attached very securely so it won't flop around. Also, keeps your weight balanced over the center.

After switching to a rack trunk from a messenger bag, I can't ever go back!

·
Registered
475 Posts
trunk bag or handlebar bag

Meat Foot said:
OK, I am slowly but surely getting set up for commuting. Bought the Bianchi Volpe, complete with fenders, lights (albeit "safety lights"), rack, and now Ortlieb panniers. I find it cumbersome to travel with panniers only. I board a bus that hauls me up the freeway so I do not have to log an additional 60 miles round trip. Right now change of office clothes and short sleeve shirt, lunch, etc. go into one pannier. I envision in the dead of winter traveling with both panniers to “balance” the load.

Finally, here is the question; I need a small bag that is waterproof, doesn’t move around, and I can attach to my body or bike rack that allows easy access to things such as cash/bus pass, celly, shades, meds, romance novel, maybe a rain shell and pants for spring and fall, and other worldly belongings. I like Chrome bags but the cost is a bit high (you get what you pay for, eh), Timbuk2, size small, messenger bag (has the added strap so the load “won’t shift”, and a bit more manageable cost wise. Currently, I have a Timbuk2 Pork Chop that would work, yet it flops around.

What are the options that meet the above criteria?

Thanks for your patience (I tend to be a bit breathy after 4 cups of coffee).
I say trunk bag also, I use a rei trunk bag, and it works pretty well, and doesn't move around too much, unless there is too much stuff in it. I leave most of my clothes at work but bring clean underwear and socks with me, if you can leave shoes at work- way too heavy to tote around size 12 shoes if you don't have to. a handlebar bag is another option , but I havn't tried one. Today on the way home I went shoping after work cause top sirloin was on sale I had about 5 pounds of steak, a coil bike lock keys, sunglasses case, rain shell, multi tool, tube patch kit wallet change, and tire levers, and it did move around some, and slowed me down a little, but I'm also ridding my cross check as a fixed gear, with a 39/16 gear, I do have a front brake though, it's very hard to try to slow down or skid with that much weight over the rear wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.