Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Gear Questions...53/39 crankset vs. 50/34 crankset.

26K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mpre53 
#1 ·
How to chose between the two crankset ?
What is the 53T/11T gear for ? High speed down hill pedaling ?
Is the 39T or 34T for high speed cruising ?

Which gear for high speed cruising in normal flat road ?

Thanks....

#2 ·
How to chose between the two crankset ?
What is the 53T/11T gear for ? High speed down hill pedaling ?
As it's the highest gear possible on a "normal" bike (one without custom {over}sized rings) and the same gear that top pro racers use for going "very fast" - either downhill or in a sprint. If you can't use it on your rides (I couldn't) then it would be a wasted gear. It would be the equivalent of me having a 500lb barbell in my basement - useless.

Is the 39T or 34T for high speed cruising?
For most people - climbing hills. If you're not fit or not strong then, yes, it might be for your high speed cruising.

Which gear for high speed cruising in normal flat road?
Only you can answer that one. We're all of different strengths. If you give us some idea of what your true average speed** is, then we can give you an opinion of the possible gear you should be using.

**Average speed of ride from leaving home to getting back home.

Most cyclists can better use a 50/34 than a 53/39. If you need 53/39 you will already know that you need it.

#3 ·
Lots of gear ratio calculators out there this one is my favorite

Mike Sherman's Bicycle Gear Calculator

Given the same cassette in the back:

53/39 will give you higher gears - harder to pedal, but more speed
50/34 will give you lower gears - easier to pedal, but less speed

Alot depends on your fitness and where you ride.

Pancake flat, no wind, high level of fitness 53/39
Hilly, long climbs, windy, low level of fitness 50/34

You can always change rear cluster as well!

What do you consider high speed cruising? It would be helpful.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm new to Road bike but doing MTBing since last September, 2012

I'm kind of weak rider and still need a lot of training to become decently strong. I think my option in crankset will be 50/34.

'...What do you consider high speed cruising?...'
I really don't know since my 1st road bike is still under construction. I got the frame & fork/wheel/bar & stem/saddle & post only.

'...Most cyclists can better use a 50/34 than a 53/39. If you need 53/39 you will already know that you need it. ...'
I'm absolutely belong to the 'most cyclists' group.

Thanks.....

#5 ·
I'm kind of weak rider and still need a lot of training to become decently strong. I think my option in crankset will be 50/34.

'...What do you consider high speed cruising?...'
I really don't know since my 1st road bike is still under construction. I got the frame & fork/wheel/bar & stem/saddle & post only.

'...Most cyclists can better use a 50/34 than a 53/39. If you need 53/39 you will already know that you need it. ...'
I'm absolutely belong to the 'most cyclists' group.

Thanks.....
Good luck and have fun. Your welcome.

#6 ·
50/34 is the right choice for at least 80% of cyclists. If you do over 500vf of climbing per 10 miles, then it is the right choice for 95%.

#7 ·
You will almost never use a 53/11 combination. Certainly not in the foreseeable future. I'm betting that you won't even be using your 50/11 very much. Some racers in the lower cats don't run anything smaller than a 12 on the rear, depending on the course. And in fact, 50/11 is a higher gear ratio than 53/12.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.