Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I have a Trek 1200 with Ultegra front and rear derailleurs, triple crank, 50/39/30 and 11-30 on the cog

PROBLEM: Im having an issue with my gear popping up to the next hardest gear on the back cog when Im climbing WHEN I shift it to the next easiest gear, 3rd to 2nd , it pops back up to the 3rd gear after shifting on a hill. I dont seem to have this issue with other gears when I shift down. Im on the 39 tooth on the front when it does this

TRIED: I put a new chain on it since it had a link that was bad and I wanted a better chain. Cog is new, last Aug.
** I adjusted the barrel adjuster as well, no change. Today I was adjusting the barrel adjuster on the down tube on the fly which didnt fix it. Counter clockwise to tighten the cable

Thanks guys

Cornfused roadie

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spoke too soon, problem is back. New chain, new rear cable. Still popping from 2nd to 3rd gear on the Cassette when shifting from 3 to 2 whilst climbing. I dont get it

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I don't know whether I understand clearly.

Does the chain skip when you shift up no matter which gear you shift from OR does the chain only skip when shifting from one particular cog to the next larger cog?

E.g. in a cassette having the following cogs:
12, 13, 14, 15, 16,

1) The chain only skips when shifting from the 13 to the 14 OR
2) The chain skips when shifting from any of the 13 to 14; 14 to 15; and 15 to 16

If the answer is 1), then I think the two cogs may be worn to the point that the cassette needs replaced - in which case replace both the chain and cassette

If the answer is 2), then I am more partial to a bent der. hanger.

In any case, the der must be adjusted properly on a properly aligned hanger. If not weird skipping may happen b/c the der is not holding the chain in the correct location wrt the cogs.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
1. RD not adjusted properly.
2. I'm going with worn out cassette gear, you had that old chain on there too long.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Sounds cassette-related and cog-specific, since you did not mention it popping down from cog 1 to 2.
Other weird stuff to check:
- excessive side to side free play with the cassette.
- rear derailleur getting sloppy.
- shifter cable housing not cut nice and flush, causing the cable to occasionally "relax."

Worst case and the most expensive: the shifter might be getting worn. Difficult to check for this. Good time to buy a brand new bike! :D You gotta protect those family jewels, man!

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by 2nd to 3rd. If you mean from the 13t dropping back to 12t, is there any chance the cassette was installed with the 13t cog installed backwards?

If you are up on the big cogs that are ganged together, then I would check derailleur alignment.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Read his original post more closely: he said "2nd easiest gear," which as most cyclists know 1st gear as the largest cog. (Although, in all fairness, he said it occurred on the middle chainring of his triple crankset.)

I thought of another angle. Sometimes where the cable routes beneath the bottom bracket, it can get some sticky residue from a sport drink. Try cleaning with an old toothbrush and spray some lubricant down there.

I am not sure what you mean by 2nd to 3rd. If you mean from the 13t dropping back to 12t, is there any chance the cassette was installed with the 13t cog installed backwards?

If you are up on the big cogs that are ganged together, then I would check derailleur alignment.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Read his original post more closely: he said "2nd easiest gear," which as most cyclists know 1st gear as the largest cog. (Although, in all fairness, he said it occurred on the middle chainring of his triple crankset.)
Yep, got it. He also said the cassette is new(ish) being installed last August.

It sounds like a shifter problem where the tooth to hold the cable in the 2nd gear position is worn/broken. Sticky cables usually prevent shifting to harder gears.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.