Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at switching from my compact crank and 11/23 cassette to standard crank. What would be a comparable cassette for the low end clibing gearing to the 34/23 that I have now. would a 39/25 be close or 39/26? i need a bit more top end speed but am not the best climber and like to spin vs power up climbs. Only looking to switch for better sprinting gears.
 

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
Joined
·
15,440 Posts
you'd have the same low gear w/ a 27, so you're probably gonna want an 11-28(which would be slightly easier on the low end) or an 11-26 (which would be slightly harder on the low end) since i don't think anyone makes an 11-27.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for input. mainly looking to switch out due to sprinting efforts. ive noticed this year that on faster sprints i dont feel real comfortable with the cadence that the cmpact gearing gives me. at 30 it just doesnt feel good out of the saddle. cadence is too high and I think i might feel better at higher speeds if i was in a bigger gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
simple...

smbrum said:
looking at switching from my compact crank and 11/23 cassette to standard crank. What would be a comparable cassette for the low end clibing gearing to the 34/23 that I have now. would a 39/25 be close or 39/26? i need a bit more top end speed but am not the best climber and like to spin vs power up climbs. Only looking to switch for better sprinting gears.
You need a 12-27. 23/34 x39 = 26.4 Your old 50/11 top gear is just a little higher, but a 53/12 is very close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
this might be stupid but.. how about getting a larger big ring?? keeps the same low gearring for climbing.. but higher top end which if I`m understanding right.. is what your after? ( not sacrificing low-end but gaining high-end )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
???

smbrum said:
thanks for input. mainly looking to switch out due to sprinting efforts. ive noticed this year that on faster sprints i dont feel real comfortable with the cadence that the cmpact gearing gives me. at 30 it just doesnt feel good out of the saddle. cadence is too high and I think i might feel better at higher speeds if i was in a bigger gear.

With a 50/11 it only requires 91 rpm to go 30mph. With a 53/11 it would take 86 rpm.

That's not sprinting, it's a snail's pace.
 

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
Joined
·
3,983 Posts
53-39 12-27 for hills/mountains and keep the 11-23 for flats/rolling hills/sprints
 

·
Slightly Opinionated
Joined
·
10,231 Posts
Salsa_Lover said:
53-39 12-27 for hills/mountains and keep the 11-23 for flats/rolling hills/sprints
/\/\/\/\ This is correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Marty01 said:
this might be stupid but.. how about getting a larger big ring?? keeps the same low gearring for climbing.. but higher top end which if I`m understanding right.. is what your after? ( not sacrificing low-end but gaining high-end )
i dont believe that the derailluer can push the chain from the small 34 on the compact up to a 53. would have to be the 53/39 combo since I have Campy. I think shimano and maybe even SRAM have some in betweens like a 52/36 which would be perfect for what I think I need. not sure im gonna switch over from Campy right now though.

thanks all for the advice I think I know which way Im going
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,666 Posts
smbrum said:
i dont believe that the derailluer can push the chain from the small 34 on the compact up to a 53. would have to be the 53/39 combo since I have Campy. I think shimano and maybe even SRAM have some in betweens like a 52/36 which would be perfect for what I think I need. not sure im gonna switch over from Campy right now though.

thanks all for the advice I think I know which way Im going
Team Astana rode 53-34 x 11-28 in stage 15 of this year's Giro d'Italia. Might not be as smooth as it could be and probably needs a chain catcher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,492 Posts
Anything you can do with a normal crank you can do with a compact. I'm not sure what it is you don't like about your compact, but you can also get a 51 or 52 ring for that crank. There's absolutely no reason to change everything just to get slightly different gearing.
 

·
Old Skool
Joined
·
719 Posts
Spin faster...

My feeling is sort of a subset of what C-40 has said. A cadence in the 90s is not excessive. IMHO, you should learn to spin more smoothly and wind out the 50x11 a bit more. At 120 RPM your 50x11 will produce about 43 MPH. If you spin smoothly 120 RPM should not be even close to spun-out.

If developing a smooth spin seems impossible, my advice would be to take a close look at your saddle position.

Just my $0.02...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top