Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 80's Waterford Schwinn Paramount fork and frame set, and I am looking to it build soon. I would like to have a 1x?, My question is, what cassette did they come with originally? I got it through ebay, so I don't know what the rear spacing is as of yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
c.a. I had a nice 87' paramount which I sold to make room for a Merlin cyrene. I also sold my colnago extra light and my litespeed tuscany. Of the three I sold, I like the schwinn paramount the best. My paramount had a nine speed dura ace cluster. I just pulled the rear triangle apart and it slid right in.You could not do this with carbon and aluminum.
I never had problem. Enjoy your beautiful bike.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't make a nice road bike like that a single speed. But that's just me.

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
Peanya said:
Personally, I wouldn't make a nice road bike like that a single speed. But that's just me.
+1

Get a classic track bike and make that a SS/fixie. Make the road bike a proper road bike.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
Probably 126mm rear spacing.

IMHO, it would be shameful to drew a Waterford Paramount road bike by converting it to a SS/FG if you cut off the derailleur hanger or any of the braze-ons, but hey, it's your bike.

If the changes you make to the frameset are reversable (e.g. you don't butcher anything in the conversion), then have at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, don't worry. My prologue is my fix gear. I would like to make this a long distance fighter, it will have gears. I wasn't sure if I was going to put on a 1x7, 1x8 or 1x9 though. That is why I wanted to know want the original cassette was. Thank you all for knowledge.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
CaptAmerica said:
No, don't worry. My prologue is my fix gear. I would like to make this a long distance fighter, it will have gears. I wasn't sure if I was going to put on a 1x7, 1x8 or 1x9 though. That is why I wanted to know want the original cassette was. Thank you all for knowledge.
The '87 Paramount road bikes were sold as framesets only, and the purchaser dealt directly with the Schwinn dealer to determine components.

My '87 Paramount was originally set up with the Dura-Ace 7400 7-speed group (53-39t chainrings, 13-26t 7-speed cassette).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll keep y'all posted. Though, I am going to have it painted to match the prologue's red white and blue.

Vadim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts