Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running a 53/39 up front. If you could have one all around cassette what would it be - torn bet an 11-25 and an 11-28 - the 11-28 is obviously better on hilly terrain. I do crits, road races, group riding. Both would be good but I only have one wheelset.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Running a 53/39 up front. If you could have one all around cassette what would it be - torn bet an 11-25 and an 11-28 - the 11-28 is obviously better on hilly terrain. I do crits, road races, group riding. Both would be good but I only have one wheelset. Thanks!
Changing a cassette is quick and easy. If you really want both owning just one wheelset shouldn't stop you.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
First ask yourself whether you really need an 11, especially with that 53 big ring. At 100 rpm in that gear you're going 38 mph. Do you ever really need to pedal when going that fast? You might, if you're road racing, but if you pay attention you might find you hardly ever use it. With a 12, you're at 35 mph at 100 rpm, which might be enough.

At the low end, it's a similar analysis. Do you ever find yourself in 39x25 and wishing you had a lower gear? If not, . . .

Limiting the high and low ends to what you really need gets you closer spacing in the middle.

As Jay pointed out, you don't need a second wheel to use a second cassette, if you do have significantly different needs on a given ride.

·
Registered
585 Posts
First ask yourself whether you really need an 11, especially with that 53 big ring. At 100 rpm in that gear you're going 38 mph. Do you ever really need to pedal when going that fast? You might, if you're road racing, but if you pay attention you might find you hardly ever use it. With a 12, you're at 35 mph at 100 rpm, which might be enough.

At the low end, it's a similar analysis. Do you ever find yourself in 39x25 and wishing you had a lower gear? If not, . . .

Limiting the high and low ends to what you really need gets you closer spacing in the middle.

As Jay pointed out, you don't need a second wheel to use a second cassette, if you do have significantly different needs on a given ride.
Just to add to that. Ask yourself if you even really need the 53 big ring? 48, 46, or even 44 is enough for the many riders.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Running a 53/39 up front. If you could have one all around cassette what would it be - torn bet an 11-25 and an 11-28 - the 11-28 is obviously better on hilly terrain. I do crits, road races, group riding. Both would be good but I only have one wheelset.
Thanks!
For all those types of riding there is no such thing as an all-round cassette. Get three - a criterium, normal road race & group ride and hilly road race & group ride. Otherwise gears are wasted and in racing, that's a crime.

And do you really need 53/11? That's a pro rider sprinting and downhill gear. Methinks if you really needed 53/11 then you wouldn't be asking what kind of cassette to get; you'd already have enough experience to know.

As cassettes can be swapped in 2-5 minutes, two sets of wheels don't come into it. But then if you're really racing (and training), two sets of wheels is a bare minimum.

And if you really need a 28 then a 25 just won't do at all.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts

And do you really need 53/11? That's a pro rider sprinting and downhill gear. Methinks if you really needed 53/11 then you wouldn't be asking what kind of cassette to get; you'd already have enough experience to know.

As cassettes can be swapped in 2-5 minutes, two sets of wheels don't come into it. But then if you're really racing (and training), two sets of wheels is a bare minimum.

And if you really need a 28 then a 25 just won't do at all.
kapow ... :crazy:

What cassette are you using right now?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.