Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about to drop the ball and order some campy stuff from 11speed... plan on getting a short cage chorus read der and compact cranks (centaur front der and chorus shifters).... what rear gearing would you suggest for my casette...

also, planning on getting an fsa slk or similar compact crank... any issues that you know of with this crank and campy...

thanks for the help...

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
interesting choice...

bikerboy337 said:
So I'm about to drop the ball and order some campy stuff from 11speed... plan on getting a short cage chorus read der and compact cranks (centaur front der and chorus shifters).... what rear gearing would you suggest for my casette...

also, planning on getting an fsa slk or similar compact crank... any issues that you know of with this crank and campy...

thanks for the help...
How did you come ot the conclusion that you want or need a compact crank if you don't even know what cassette you need to go with it?

Assuming you're jumping on the wide-spaced 50/34 compact bandwagon, be aware that this choice is not all roses. Every time you shift from one chainring to the other, you'll have to shift one more cog to make up for the wide spacing.

Of course you can get a compact that's not wide-spaced, like a 50/36 or 48/34 but why bother unless Campy's 13-29 isn't low enough? There is no advantage.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you're probalby right...

think a 13-29 would be good for me... will that casette work with a double set up and short cage rear der?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Most likely

bikerboy337 said:
think a 13-29 would be good for me... will that casette work with a double set up and short cage rear der?
Assuming you use the "no slack in the small-small combo" method of chain length sizing, this will probably work. You can probably even use the big-big combination. The short cage derailleur will handle the 29 - the only question is whether you have enough chain wrap with the short cage, and you probably do.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked on-line

and the short cage rear der is only supposed to be used for the 13-26 casette... the 26 wont be small enough for me, looking for that 29, or a compact chainset... i'll search around for the medium caged chorus or record... probikekit and 11speed are out of them now...

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
get the medium cage...

At least with the medium cage, you'll have more options. I've never noticed any shifting penalties with one. FWIW, a 12-25 would be the most common cassette choice with a compact. With a 50/34 you get the same low gear as a 39/29. With a 50/36 your low gear is like a 39/27.

Another option is go go all the way down to a 48/34 with the 12-25. Then you avoid the wide spread. The 48/12 top gear is the same as 52/13.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess thats the plan now... just need to find a reasonably priced medium cage... most of the online (probikekit and 11speed) only have the short and long cage at the moment... think i'm going with a grey centaur... putting the money into the ergo levers (chorus) and wheelset and going a little lower on front and rear gear.... thanks for all the info... think i'm going with a record crankset with 13-29 casette and med rear der...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If you go with the 13-29 try leaving the chainring set 50/36. A 50/34 creates a big ratio jump and possibly more mechanical setup problems and rougher shifting.

Al

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
C-40 said:
Of course you can get a compact that's not wide-spaced, like a 50/36 or 48/34 but why bother unless Campy's 13-29 isn't low enough? There is no advantage.
Isn't it little simplistic to say that there's no advantage? A compact with a conventionally sized rear will weigh a bit less (on both ends) than a conventional crank and pie-plate rear. Takes a link or two less chain, for the real weight weenies. It's a matter of opinion but for me, a conventional rear cluster provides better gear spacing than a wide-range rear can yield, and wide-ratio rears aren't exactly the smoothest shifters.

The compact is arguably more versatile, as well. Put on an 11-tooth rear, and you're higher than a 12-tooth standard setup. Put on a 29-tooth rear, and you're down with the low gearing of a triple with a standard cluster. You'd have to play with the chain (and maybe use a longer cage) to use all of these ranges, but it's a possibility. Most folks would probably choose one end or the other, which would minimize conversion issues.

The extra rear shift needed when making a front can be an issue. On the other hand, the extra range (per chainring) that extra shift affords means that front shifts have to happen proportionally less often, so it's something of a wash. There is a certain speed (for me, it's around 16mph) where I can't seem to settle on a ring. If that's a frequent spot in the ride profile, a compact can be a hassle. But if the course is flattish enough (or hillish enough), it's my opinion that the compact has some advantages. It's not right for everyone's style, but it's good by me.

Some folks have had setup and shifting problems with compact fronts, but that's not been my experience. Because of the jump (and the extra rear shift) it can take a front upshift a fraction longer to wrap the ring. A racer desiring only one setup may not like a compact. A recreational rider looking for versatility or a racer looking for a climber might find them just the ticket.

OP: If you do decide that a compact is in your future, I can't really suggest a specific cluster, but think you'd need a pretty good reason to stray from standard (12-25 or 12-27) as a starting point.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Where can I find info on 48/34 crank? My engine has so little horse power that I find my 53 ring just an added weight I carry around needlessly. 48/34 would be perfect. Can I swap out my Ultegra crank with this? Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Smallest is 38

FlyingYeti said:
Where can I find info on 48/34 crank? My engine has so little horse power that I find my 53 ring just an added weight I carry around needlessly. 48/34 would be perfect. Can I swap out my Ultegra crank with this? Thanks.
Your Ultegra crank is a 130BCD crank. The smallest chainwheel that you can use is a 38.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings/130.html

Otherwise you need to change to a 110BCD crank, i.e. a compact drivetrain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts