Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally was able to take my Trek Crockett 5 into the woods for some trail riding. It was pretty fun but was noticed the hills were a bit of a hassle. I don't want to change the front so is it possible to go to a different cassette. It has a 12-30 now, would going to a 12-34 or lower work with the rear derailleur? I need to build my fitness back up, but I don't think this will affect the main reason I have the bike which is gravel and crappy days.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've been told that if the RD is Shimano, you can safely add two or three teeth from the recommended maximum. Figure out which RD cage length you have, see the Shimano limits on that RD and decide if its worth the risk purchase price of a new cassette.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
With the wide range cassettes available now, it's possible to have a setup that works on gravel as well as trail without swapping. I run a 40t front and 11-32 out back and find its great on trail and in race situations (a little light for road sections. Thinking of going 42 front and 11-36 in back and I should be set for anything. Think about what you ride most and gear accordingly BUT don't sell yourself short. having raced singlespeed for years, I promise you that you are capable of pushing more gear than you think.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that the biggest thing for me is not being able to carry the speed that I am used to thru the trails, not that I am fast, but just not used to the bike in that situation.

I am not planning on switching the cassette until it's needed, just curious what I could go to when that time comes.

Thanks for the info .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts