Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that if you have even teeth on the front and back, then when you skid it will wear out your tire in like four spots, but if you have lets say a 15 x 42, it will spread the skid patches around the tire?

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
If your crank ends up in the same spot every time when you skid yes and no.
If you have a overall gear ratio that ends in .00 like 3.00 or 4.00 you will end up with 3 or 4 spots on the tire. The technical term for this is a non-hunting gear set.

If you ratio ends in .50 like 2.50, 3.50 or 4.50 you will end up with 5, 7 or 9 patches. This is a simi-hunting ratio.

Anything else and the tire will stop in a random spot and ideally would wear evenly. A hunting gear ratio.

Why the skid? I like my money and knees too much to do that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A from Il said:
If your crank ends up in the same spot every time when you skid yes and no.
If you have a overall gear ratio that ends in .00 like 3.00 or 4.00 you will end up with 3 or 4 spots on the tire. The technical term for this is a non-hunting gear set.

If you ratio ends in .50 like 2.50, 3.50 or 4.50 you will end up with 5, 7 or 9 patches. This is a simi-hunting ratio.

Anything else and the tire will stop in a random spot and ideally would wear evenly. A hunting gear ratio.

Why the skid? I like my money and knees too much to do that.
Thanks!

I am going back to my original plan of 42x16. Once I am finished building my fixie, I want to learn to skid, but I agree with you, and will not be skidding too much, because of the same reasons you mentioned.

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Alx said:
http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/rabbit.applet.html

Input your gearing and choose the "SKID PATCH ANALYSIS" on the lower right hand side and it will show you the skid patches your gearing provides. Its easier to explain visually than by any written description.
That's a pretty cool little applet, even if you're not interested in skidding. Allows for real-time, simultaneous comparison of gear ratios, inches, development, etc. for various ring/cog combos. Sweet.

Thanks for postin it up.

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
palu said:
I've seen people skid. I know what it is. Just want to know WHY.
Everything there is that can be done, some percentage of the population will like to do. There's really no explanation beyond that for anything.

Google "noodling" if you need proof.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
palu said:
I've seen people skid. I know what it is. Just want to know WHY.
Because it's "cool."

So's a track stand contest! You should see the parking lot in front of our shop sometimes!:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
i hate buying tires so i never do it, but i can see the appeal, i used to love it when i was young and my parents were footin the bill for bike repairs.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I skid cause I don't usually buy tires more expensive than $20 anyways and its still cool to me I guess :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
Meh, I guess I never saw the fascination with drifting, either, so this skidding thing got me confused, as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts