Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Bigbill, did someone forget to sacrifice the virgin last month?

How's that Ark coming?

Guess you're starting to grow gills and fins.

Hmm, I guess with the polar ice caps melting due to global warming, all that water has gotta go somewhere.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
spyderman said:
So Bigbill, did someone forget to sacrifice the virgin last month?

How's that Ark coming?

Guess you're starting to grow gills and fins.

Hmm, I guess with the polar ice caps melting due to global warming, all that water has gotta go somewhere.
Let me tell you about it. I have continued to commute to work in the rain. If anyone remembers my "two by two" post, that is when it pretty much began. The bike path was cleaned up a little by the next day, good enough to pass through with only minor use of cyclocross skills. Since then, it has flooded at least a dozen more times, yesterday being the worst. We received about three inches of rain in three hours yesterday at work. Parts of the base were closed down due to flooded streets and all non-essential people were told to go home. I could have left then, but I was watching the radar and looking for a break. I don't mind riding in the rain, but I do worry about being seen by drivers. The weather let up for about two hours yesterday and I headed home. When I got to the area that floods, I noticed some standing water so I continued to ride until the water started to get close to the bottom bracket. I decided to carry from there until I rounded the corner past the water treatment plant. The creek that normally runs under a bridge on the MUT was now about 200 feet wide and flowing rapidly. I couldn't even see the bridge. Entire trees were flowing by. I had to ride on the six lane Kam highway to get home. Very scary. It was raining this morning so I guess the streak continues. I live on the West end of Oahu which is arid, we have cactus and keawe trees (mesquite) out here. Everything is green and growing fast. In a couple of months you will see our brush fires on the national news. The virgin sacrifice is scheduled for today at Diamond Head.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Bill, I read in the paper this mornig there's been a huge sewage spill on Waikiki beach. The tourism authorities must be having a fit!

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
il sogno said:
Bill, I read in the paper this mornig there's been a huge sewage spill on Waikiki beach. The tourism authorities must be having a fit!
The state had an ad campaign ready to go for tourism. It has been postponed since the centerpiece of the campaign was sunny weather. The sewage spill was originally "only" 10 million gallons into the Ali Wai canal due to a broken sewage main, the flooding has compounded it to around 50 million. Most of the western end of Waikiki is closed off for swimming and surfing. The man-made beach at the Hilton Hawaiian Village is really contaminated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts