Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking of changing my auto insurance... and for some unknown reason Geico popped up in my head....:rolleyes:

Anyone have Geico auto insurance? How are they? Are they a good company? Hopefully not another Allstate...
 

·
remodeling...me
Joined
·
4,177 Posts
6was9 said:
I'm thinking of changing my auto insurance... and for some unknown reason Geico popped up in my head....:rolleyes:

Anyone have Geico auto insurance? How are they? Are they a good company? Hopefully not another Allstate...

Do you think it mean anything that your Geico post was your 666 posting?
 

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
zeytin said:
Do you think it mean anything that your Geico post was your 666 posting?
Whadayaknow?

Do I win anything?

Ummmm... seriously...rather ominous though...

P.S. Wait.... wah! the number changed to 667 before my eyes.... pretty mysterious you think? i suppose that means Geico's alright?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
I'm with Geico and I'm satisfied. But I'm 63 years old, worked for the US Government for 25 years, got my last traffic ticket in 1981 and drive a 4-cylinder sedan dog-slow no more than 10,000 miles a year. If you're at the other end of that spectrum, Geico might not be such a good idea. Other posters would have to confirm or deny that.
 

·
remodeling...me
Joined
·
4,177 Posts
6was9 said:
Whadayaknow?

Do I win anything?

Ummmm... seriously...rather ominous though...

P.S. Wait.... wah! the number changed to 667 before my eyes.... pretty mysterious you think? i suppose that means Geico's alright?
However I was witness to the 666 posting....creepy.
Seriously I had them for motorcycle insurance but nothing ever happened so I really don't know what kind of customer service they have.
 

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
zeytin said:
However I was witness to the 666 posting....creepy.
Seriously I had them for motorcycle insurance but nothing ever happened so I really don't know what kind of customer service they have.
I'm sorry... my bad... I somehow thought the posting counter individually numbers each postings... not the total postings... I guess I need some sleep...

Right... unless something happens people are generally oblivious of what kinda company theiy have their policy with... as I'd think anyone who'd dealt w/ fore-mentioned AS company would know...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Check the archives at Car and Driver magazine...

Can't remember the details, but Pat Bedard, one of the editors at Car and Driver, wrote something about Geico a year or two ago. Apparently they have a VERY strict policy on tickets, even for things not obviously related to safety--get nailed for 70 in a 65 and your rates go up, or something like that. I've had a boatload of those, because I drive about 30,000 mostly-highway miles a year. but I've gone at least a million miles since 1965 without an accident. I want somebody who'll look at that, not at the number of times I got tagged for going faster than 65 at 3 in the morning.
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
I don't know anything about Geico. But I'll pimp state farm a little. Excellent customer service both times I've had serious damage. First time an accident that wasn't my fault - accident in one state, had to go to school in another state two days later. They sent me the rental car (even though at the time I was under 21, so typically not allowed a rental) at school until the insurance check cleared and I bought a new car. Then this last summer when my truck got broken into, my shattered window was replaced the same day with no deductible. Everything else was taken care of pretty much hassle free. Great customer service and I like my agent a lot. Like the commercial, he even came with a copy of my insurance when the cop thought I had the wrong insurance card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,720 Posts
If your credit is either very good or very bad, you could have an extremely wide variance from one company to the next. If your credit is very good, the world is yours. I am an agent and I have a sense on what companies are competitive for what people, so if you want a recommendation, PM me. Thanks.

By the way, I have found that GEICO's rates aren't very good. They are very middle of the road for everyone. Nothing special.
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
That does not surprise me. But I know that I couldn't have gotten a rental car without the insurance company setting it up. I didn't even have to give a credit card number. The point wasn't that it was a State Farm exclusive, just that they were flexible - accident in FL, rental car in TX. They didn't hassle me and in fact did everything they could to make it easier. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,720 Posts
Gig 'em said:
I don't know anything about Geico. But I'll pimp state farm a little. Excellent customer service both times I've had serious damage. First time an accident that wasn't my fault - accident in one state, had to go to school in another state two days later. They sent me the rental car (even though at the time I was under 21, so typically not allowed a rental) at school until the insurance check cleared and I bought a new car. Then this last summer when my truck got broken into, my shattered window was replaced the same day with no deductible. Everything else was taken care of pretty much hassle free. Great customer service and I like my agent a lot. Like the commercial, he even came with a copy of my insurance when the cop thought I had the wrong insurance card.
FYI, Enterprise Rent-A-Car's national agreements with most insurance companies provide for rentals to individuals under 21 for insurance replacement purposes. It is not a State Farm exclusive provision
 

·
Arrogant roadie.....
Joined
·
4,232 Posts
Bad experience with Geico. Their customer service is useless and nearly impossible to get ahold of.
 

·
Poseur
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Unitrin

If you are price shopping, try Unitrin, they were lower than Geico for my situation(3 cars, teen driver). Actually, I am still with Progressive, their rates are fairly good, so I can't complain about them either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
I tried Geico thinking the'd be reasonable but they weren't for me. Probably because they spend so much on advertising. Had Progressive, their rates were good but had a terrible customer service problem with them. Now have Amica, good rates and no problems yet.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Semi-reluctantly second the pimping of State Farm

I have to go along with Gig 'ems recommendation, with a small reservation. My wife and I have been with SF for 20-plus nearly accident-free years (got rear-ended once, and my wife hit a deer). Under those circumstances, they were great. They made a point of letting us know about alleged discounts we'd qualify for and took care of our two small claims quickly. I think we paid a little more than we might have somewhere else, but it was worth it for the service.
I'm still hanging in suspense on this, though: In August, my daughter rear-ended somebody in a moron-with-a-cell-phone-my-dad-told-me-not-to-use-when-I'm-driving crash. No complaints about the service--they fixed both cars, more than $6000 worth. But I've been trying for months to find out how that will affect our rates (because she's going to pay any increase), and I can't get an amount or even a Yes or No. Apparently I'm going to have to wait for our policy to expire in June to see what happens.
Also, FWIW, we have a different State Farm agent for our homeowners' insurance, and I've been trying off and on for FIFTEEN YEARS to get them both in the same office. The agents say they're not allowed to discuss it at all, not even to tell me it can or can't be done. That's just a PIA.
 

·
Soon to be banned
Joined
·
14,475 Posts
6was9 said:
I'm thinking of changing my auto insurance... and for some unknown reason Geico popped up in my head....:rolleyes:

Anyone have Geico auto insurance? How are they? Are they a good company? Hopefully not another Allstate...
I didn't have a good experience with GEICO. You can find my Geico experience here. If you want an Ins company who will act like your insurance company, go with State Farm.

I had an accident with State Farm and they settled very quickly. No issues. I had an accident with Geico and they tried to settle for less than 50% of my lowest estimate. I wasn't happy.

Good luck!
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
I don't know anything about homeowner's insurance (my gramma doesn't even carry it for her house despite my constant reminders to get some), but when I was 16 and we initially added me and my car to the policy, I got the good grades discount and they also offered a discount on the car insurance if you had a State Farm life insurance policy. I'm sure the discount is some kind of rate percentage, but the $50k life insurance policy came out at $15/mo and the car insurance discount came out at $18/mo. So essentially I got a free life insurance policy. I still have it now. The rates are still the same (they checked for tobacco use, but since I'm smoke free there was no raise), and I have a good life insurance policy for less than $200/yr on top of a discount.
 

·
Misfit Toy
Joined
·
23,426 Posts
Cory - FWIW, I too have State Farm. I had a rear end accident last year (my fault) - haven't seen an increase in my rates. Hope you're just as lucky!
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
Well

spyderman said:
I didn't have a good experience with GEICO. You can find my Geico experience here. If you want an Ins company who will act like your insurance company, go with State Farm.

I had an accident with State Farm and they settled very quickly. No issues. I had an accident with Geico and they tried to settle for less than 50% of my lowest estimate. I wasn't happy.

Good luck!

no experience with Geico, applied once years ago to find out it would be more than progressive was at that time. I'm with traveler's now, and I love them...I'm the most insured person I know...We've got homeowners, car, identity theft, long term care, camper/RV, not to mention the standard health, dental, and life plans...
 

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I decided to stay clear of Geico and saved myself $280 a year going with State Farm (compared to what I was paying with Am Family.)

I did have State Farm in my twenties and I remember them being excellent... It's just that I felt a bit guilty of keeping something like $1500 which I got from State Farm for the repair of my car about twenty years ago.

The thing is that the damage was cause by an accident that I caused... not intentionally as the other car was damaged worsed than mine...back then I had a Mitsubishi Starion that I really liked but was a lemon... as among many variety of problems it had the paint bubbled regardless of how many time they repainted...which in the near the end of the car's life (short life) made it look horrible. The damage was superficial and repairing the car was pointless besides at the time I was going to school and living in downtown Chicago where nice cars didn't stay very nice very long... mostly the cash came in handy with my student budget and all if you know what I mean...

Not long after that I junked the beast and went no-car for a while and thus dropping State Farm... but I've always felt kinda bad about not repairing the car and keeping the money. I thought possibly that's not a good thing on my record if there is such thing ( Come to think of it they might not have known that I had not repair the car!...?) I suppose all this has something to do with me not having gone back to SF. But all is well with me and SF as I am back with them.

Thanks guys!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top