Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have no idea what to purchase .SANTINI bib with " twist gel chamois " or CAMPAGNOLO bib with ACS ( Air Cushion System ) . Price is a bit steep for both and I didn't use gel or ACS systems . So , need advice . I just started my season of marathon riding that means 8 or more hours in the saddle ( 200 to 500 km nonstop ) . My old set of bibs eaged significantly and I must replace them by something new and this is ocasion to experiment . I've heard some opinions that gel chamois after one season becomes harsh and is eaging quickly . CAMPAGNOLO say that ACS chamois combine best elements of gel and traditional systems and is very durable . So ? Maybe link to source of independent apparel tests ? THX.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would recommend Santini Twist Gels- I just got a pair of the 2005 Fluid Twist Gel bibs on ebay for $129 and they are by far the best I've used over the years. I've been using the regular Twist Gels for the last 4 years and they are still super comfortable but the Fluid's are even better. They are great for long rides as well. The Fluid has the chamois attached by "thermal adhesion"- no stitching at all. After three 30+ mile rides in 90+ temps., they are doing well. The best part is the chamois (in either model) doesn't move, once it's in place it stays there. Unfortunately I have no experience with the Campagnolo. Hope that helps.

Mark

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have 3 pairs of Twist Gel's. One pair is 3 years old and are still going strong although the chamois has flattened a bit from so much use. The other 2 I bought last year. As one poster put it, to each his own. I agree, because every chamois is different and what works for me may not work for someone else. The Santini's just fit me perfectly, as do the Hincapie's so why mess around with what works? Anyway, you may have to try several before you find what works for you. I went through Voler, Performance, Castelli, and Nalini before trying Santini. Sold all my old stuff (or threw away) and now only have Santini and Hincapie. I've thought about trying PI bibs but I've read so many bad reviews about the chamois I'm hesitant. Maybe next year I'll get a pair on ebay. Good Luck!

Mark

·
gazing from the shadows
27,387 Posts
My wife tried gel shorts early in her riding career. The first pair leaked, as did the second pair. Believe me, you do NOT want that gel leaking on your bits!

Maybe it was a bad batch of shorts, but I would never take that chance myself after her experience.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If the gel leaked it may have been another brand or a bad batch as the poster stated. Performance gel shorts have a reputation for leaking. The gel in the Santini's to me does not feel "like you dropped a load in them", they are smooth and stay smooth, they do not "get lumpy." My 3 year old pair is still doing fine, no lumps, no leaks. I was a lot heavier when I started wearing them and they held up very well. I may have been luckier than some in my choice of Santini, but to me they are extremely comfortable and I've had no issues with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.