Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need gel gloves which have gel padding in the thumb/index finger area, and inbetween. Any idea's?

I ride a Jake the Snake on the road as my training, riding, commuting bike. I mainly mtb. I used to own a Concord 54 cm road bike but due to back problems, I had to sell it. The cx bike is much more useful to me because the riding position is more upright and the fatter tire design is more useful for the rough country roads I like to ride. The ride can still be a little rough when you have a low back like mine, so I invested in a sprung saddle. That is all I need for the back, but...my hands also want a little relief from the hard terrain and rough pavement out there, so....

I bought a pair of gel gloves because my hands need some cush up front. Problem is, they are almost totally useless for road/cyclocross because the best position for my hands, above the brake hoods, results in almost zero gel surface contacting the bar. My bad. I should have realized this when I bought the gloves. I may keep em' for my straight-bar folding commuter and perhaps for mtb'ing...

Are there gel gloves out there with gel padding in between the thumb and index finger in a proper way which allows shock absorption when your hands on resting on the bar just behind the brake hoods?

thanks in advance for any feedback,

:)

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but gel tape adds padding everywhere!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I forgot about that. That's not a bad idea. I will check that out too. I think my bike shop mentioned that last year. Thanks for the reminder ;)

Still, if anybody knows about a good pair of gel padded gloves with thumb-index finger area padding, let me know :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have a pair of Fox ( http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/GL302B01-Fox+Reflex+Gel+Glove+08.aspx ) fingerless gel padded gloves and I don't really like them for road OR mtb use. It feels like a big lump between my hand and the bars that sort of shifts around...hard to explain but I don't like 'em.

Like someone above mentioned...gel bar tape. I ride a lot of country backroads on my road bike that can get pretty bumpy at times. Just a coupla' days ago I re-wrapped my bars with Cinelli Gel Cork bar tape. ( http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='1206-05' ) I've done 2 good long rides on the country roads since I re-taped and I am liking this stuff!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Pearl Izumi Attack gloves have as you describe. These pad the median and ulnar nerves in the hands. They are what I wear.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Pearl Izumi Slice gloves work well for me. Takes a little pressure off my hands. I also use Gel tape now so I'm gel'n double.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Just go with gel tape...gloves really don't anything accept keeping your hands warm in the winter. I wear mine because if you happen to go down the natural reaction is to catch yourself with your hands, which can have brutal consequences..

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Specialized BG Gel Glove is just what you're looking for.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
I have long thought I needed ridiculous amounts of padding in my gloves, road or MTB. I bought a Scott CR1 last year that came with gel tape. I continued to have numbness issues until I decided to take a chance and bought a pair of Castelli Rosso Corsa gloves which have, at least for me, minimal padding. I haven't had any problems with numbness since. There is such a thing as too much padding.

·
Registered
843 Posts
second these. great comfort and pad is in good location.I've been using them for 2 years now. So far so good.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
jd3 said:
Specialized BG Gel Glove is just what you're looking for.
BAM My gloves also..Have been for years and they only get better!

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Puchnuts said:
Pearl Izumi Attack gloves have as you describe. These pad the median and ulnar nerves in the hands. They are what I wear.
+1 for PI Attack Gloves.
$20 and very comfortable and durable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so at this point, for my purposes, I think I'll get gel bar tape and take a look at the gloves suggested here. This should go a long way to solving my issues.

·
Banned
7,134 Posts
jmlapoint said:
+1 for PI Attack Gloves.
$20 and very comfortable and durable.
I bought a pair last Saturday May 02, and tossed them in the trash that afternoon after my ride. The web ventilation cloth between the fingers cut deep welts into my skin making it a totally uncomfortable fit and feel. I still have the marks left from the ride. My bars are dropped lower then the seat as in "race fashion." The glove padding is very clingy on the bars and caused the hand to travel tightly toward the finger openings of the glove. The fingers force themselves against the stitching found in the inner seams of each part of the glove. It's a terrible fit. It's like wearing razor blades between each finger. Terrible.

I went out and bought a set of Specialized bodygeometry Gel Gloves for $34.99. Exactly what the doctor ordered.

Here are the internal sewed seams of the Pearl iZium Attack fingers [left photo is right-side out and right photo is in-side out]

You can see how rough the fabricate can be against inner finger skin... ouch

Comparison to the smooth stitching of the Specialized Gel's for a few buck more

Left are the sh*t Pearl iZium Attacks and the right are the Specialized Biogeometry Gels

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I wear pearl izumi Slice gel gloves. They're comfortable but I might look for a slightly more padded glove.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts