Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for new brands or models of tires to try out. I'll take durability and strength over weight everytime, especially with the old mining and farm roads I ride. Consequently, after a few misadventures with lightwieght Hutchinsons and Vredestein, I ride almost exclusively on Michelin Axial Carbons.

I've heard one rave review about Continental Ultra 2000s from a local, but I'm scared off by reviewa about bad sidewalls. Any advice for other training/racing tires similar to Michelin Axial Carbons would be most appreciated.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Two I've been really happy with....

All the racers on the board will sneer at this, but I'm just riding around, you know?
When I bought my Atlantis four years ago, I put on Panaracer Paselas on Rivendell's recommendation, and they're terrific--long wearing, low rolling resistance and tough. Originally I used ones labeled 35mm, which were actually about 31mm wide (I weigh 240). Pana redesigned them, and the new 35s are actually very close to the marked size. They may not fit on your bike or may be softer than you like (I run them at 75 psi). You might try 32s, and I think they come in 28 as well. Not sure about 25s, because I never use anything that skinny.
On my other bike, I have Rivendell Ruffy Tuffys, 700x27, usually at 95-100 psi. They'll fit almost all bikes, and they're pretty nice, too. You can see both at www.rivbike.com, and Rivendell is the sole source of Ruffy Tuffys, which are about $42 apiece now, I think. You can find Paselas a lot of places--I got my last set on sale at Nashbar for less than $20 apiece.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Pablo said:
I am looking for new brands or models of tires to try out. I'll take durability and strength over weight everytime, especially with the old mining and farm roads I ride. Consequently, after a few misadventures with lightwieght Hutchinsons and Vredestein, I ride almost exclusively on Michelin Axial Carbons.

I've heard one rave review about Continental Ultra 2000s from a local, but I'm scared off by reviewa about bad sidewalls. Any advice for other training/racing tires similar to Michelin Axial Carbons would be most appreciated.
Maxxis Hors Categorie seem to do better in the rain than the Carbons. Mine didn't flat any more than Carbons.

Maxxis Detonators are a training tire and are supposed to be good, too.

Then there's Michelin's new offering, the Krylion, that's allegedly more durable than Carbons (I assume.).

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
If you have sidewall problems from the bad roads, consider the Conti's with duraskin sidewalls. GP4 (racing type) or UltraSports, etc. Wider is better.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I was happy with the way my Panaracers rode and handled but over one winter two pairs (different models) checked badly and had to be discarded with less than 500 miles on each pair. Maybe it was a bad batch but they were different models bought from different dealers at different times. Maybe I've got an ozone problem in my garage (but I live in an area with very clean air and we never have ozone warnings). Maybe there's a reason but I have switched to other brands after this experience.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I've had very good luck with Continental Grand Prix 4Seasons. These are tough, durable yet very supple and confidence inspiring. Costly, though.

I've also been very pleased with Schwalbe Stelvios.

My preference now is 25c tires so I'm getting out of many of the race varietys but the Conti 4Seasons go up to 28c. Just wish they were cheaper.

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
alienator said:
Maxxis Detonators are a training tire and are supposed to be good, too.
I bought a boatload of these on closeout a few years ago. They are not all that heavy, and I have gotten many many miles out of them. Only one failure, and it didn't fail completely until after I had made it home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts