Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!,

I'd like to swap an old Eddy Merckx frame for a smaller one for my g/f or a cyclocross frame for myself. For her, maybe something like the Redline R77 at Nashbar.
I don't know the year or model of my Merckx, but I suppose it's from the 80's or early 90's. Uses a quill stem and I believe the rear cassette is only around 7 gears if this helps date it.

I know the head tubes of modern frames are 1-1/8".

Do you think the old cranks and wheels could be transferred over to a new frame?

I know I'm not giving any details, but maybe there haven't been any big changes over the years, so maybe this is an easy question. If the rear hub is narrower than today's hubs, I hope I can just add spacers to the narrow wheel to make it fit the wider space between the chainstays.

I appreciate any help you can offer.
-John

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I think most of the components can be used without problems. One exception will be the rear whel. Current frames have more space between the rear dropouts to accomodate 10 rear cogs. You might be able to rube goldburg some sort of spacer to make up for the narrower rear hub & axle. You might have to have the wheel re-laced with a more modern hub. If you have to change the cogs or freewheel to a cassette system, you're talking major money. That would include new shifters, new derailleurs. If you're really interested in doing this, I'd suggest that you go to a good LBS and ask them what it would entail.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, thanks for the warning. I guess I'll have to look into it more before jumping.

Heh heh, I got a kick out of your sig. It's funny that we have a similar saying in mountain biking... "Cheap, Strong, or Light. Pick two." The truth of this statement makes me :cryin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.