Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about doing a road race and I really have no idea how fast/slow I am. I have a bit less than a month to decide for sure and get in better shape. These are the stats from a solo ride I did tonight.
50.15 miles, 17.9mph avg speed, 2289 feet of climbing. I live along the ocean and the last 30 miles was into a miserable headwind.
Do I need to be a lot faster than that to be able to stay in the pack? If so, how much? I am 36 and will be racing in the 30+ category on a course without much climbing.
I think I would be considered Cat 5 but here it is called Master Sport 30+.

First post, hope it is in the right section.
Thanks.

·
Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
There's only one way to find out, sign up and give it a try. Too many unknown variables both in the route you rode, how hard you rode that day, the course for the race you're looking at, etc.

More important questions probably run along the lines of - Are you comfortable riding in groups? Can you draft effectively? Can you hold a line thru a corner with people all around you?

Give it a try, nothing to lose. Let us know how it works out.

·
Dr. Flats a lot
742 Posts
you'll never know until you try

I would start with something a little more tame. The 30+ masters can be some super-fast mo-fo's. You also should be familiar with pack riding before jumping into a race. Things can get pretty dicey in a pack. Find a local riding group and get a couple rides in. Then try out the Cat 5's in a road race, preferably not a crit.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Sign and go...

Lorge said:
I am thinking about doing a road race and I really have no idea how fast/slow I am. I have a bit less than a month to decide for sure and get in better shape. These are the stats from a solo ride I did tonight.
50.15 miles, 17.9mph avg speed, 2289 feet of climbing. I live along the ocean and the last 30 miles was into a miserable headwind.
Do I need to be a lot faster than that to be able to stay in the pack? If so, how much? I am 36 and will be racing in the 30+ category on a course without much climbing.
I think I would be considered Cat 5 but here it is called Master Sport 30+.

First post, hope it is in the right section.
Thanks.

Skip the master's race, and go directly into cat 5. If it is an open master's race, you're not going to want to ride that one. In master's races around where I live, it's an odd assortment of old pros, and guys who have been racing their bikes for 20+ years, and have always been fast.

Cat 5 is where you belong to start with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.
I am in Nova Scotia, Canada and the categories are a bit different up here since we don't have a really large biking population. You either race elite which is I think the equivalent of Cat 1 or 2, the sport class of your age ( master sport 30+ for me ) or Senior Sport for anyone over 19 but not elite.
There are very few roadies for me to ride with locally so most of my rides are either solo or two person rides. I am very comfortable on the bike and not concerned about riding in the pack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.