Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad feeling about this. I am getting the impression that I cannot use an old cup/spindle/ball BB system on a new crankset, can I?

I saw a post here quoting CampyTech that said that you couldn't even use older BB cartridges with new cranksets, as the angle has gone from 1.5 to 2 degrees on the spindles in the cartridges. Ahhhh. :eek:

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
elvisVerde said:
I have a bad feeling about this. I am getting the impression that I cannot use an old cup/spindle/ball BB system on a new crankset, can I?

I saw a post here quoting CampyTech that said that you couldn't even use older BB cartridges with new cranksets, as the angle has gone from 1.5 to 2 degrees on the spindles in the cartridges. Ahhhh. :eek:
News to me, Campag BB axles in non cartridge units are 111 or longer, whereas record now uses 102 and has done for years. Angle is the same as far as I know.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yes to a degree

The older symetrical BB (109mm) will work with the Centaur/Veloce with no problem. I am using a mid 80's Chours bottom bracket with a Centaur set up and it works fine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your post raises another question....

I wonder if what you say is so because it was old stuff and lower modern stuff. I say that because of the following .... I have heard that you could not use a NEW lower end BB (Daytona/Centaur/Xenon/whatever) with NEW Chorus/Record cranksets. I wonder if that is because the lower stuff still uses the old angles and the new Ch/Rec uses the newer angle.

I know that everyone says that the taper hasn't changed, but something clearly has, and that post that quoted CampyTech guys seems pretty credible.

I would sure like to use the old style BB on new cranks, I like the old tech better than a disposable hunk of bb.

BlueMasi1 said:
The older symetrical BB (109mm) will work with the Centaur/Veloce with no problem. I am using a mid 80's Chours bottom bracket with a Centaur set up and it works fine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The reason you cant use a lower end BB's with Record and Chorus is because the Centaur and lower BB's are 111 wide and thats just for the doubles. Record and Chorus doubles are designed to work with 102mm BB's. You could use the lower end 111's with a Record or Chorus triple.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
elvisVerde said:
I wonder if what you say is so because it was old stuff and lower modern stuff. I say that because of the following .... I have heard that you could not use a NEW lower end BB (Daytona/Centaur/Xenon/whatever) with NEW Chorus/Record cranksets. I wonder if that is because the lower stuff still uses the old angles and the new Ch/Rec uses the newer angle.

I know that everyone says that the taper hasn't changed, but something clearly has, and that post that quoted CampyTech guys seems pretty credible.

I would sure like to use the old style BB on new cranks, I like the old tech better than a disposable hunk of bb.
From http://www.branfordbike.com/bottombr/bb2.html#item2

Bottom Bracket Compatibility - length and tapers

All cranks must be matched with a specific length bottom bracket spindle. Triple cranks or frames with oversize seat tubes require slightly longer bottom bracket spindles.
Shimano and almost every major bottom bracket maker have traditionally used the same spindle end cross section of 12.9 mm and two degree taper. Campagnolo uses the same two degree taper but has a smaller starting cross section of 12.7 mm.
A Shimano crank arm will bottom out on Campagnolo spindle. A Campagnolo crank arm will not draw far enough onto a Shimano spindle.
Phil Wood now produces both Campagnolo and Shimano taper bottom brackets in a wide variety of lengths. Phil bottom brackets are exceptionally well made and usually last for 30,000 miles without maintenance.

# Three, sealed cartridge style, bearings; two on the chain ring side and one on the non-drive side.
# Campagnolo's lightest bottom bracket; weighs just 190 grams.
# 17 mm, hollow cro-moly steel 111 mm spindle fits Record track cranks and pre-1995 Record and Chorus 7 and 8 speed road cranks.
# This bottom bracket cartridge is identical to the 102 Record road bottom bracket cartridge except for the length of the bottom bracket spindle. The cartridge bearings are sealed and the cups employ a rubber O ring, just like the 102 mm version. The only difference between the 102 mm Record bb and the 111 mm track Record bb is that the alloy cups on the 111 mm version lack the thin, plastic dust seals used on the 102 mm bb.
# The Campagnolo 111 mm Record bottom bracket will not work with older, Campagnolo, Nuovo and Super Record cranks. They require a 115 mm spindle with 5 mm of offset on the chain ring side. We suggest using a Phil Wood bottom bracket for Nuovo and Super Record applications.
# Spindle mid-section is oversized to increase stiffness and reduce weight.
# Unique taper is not interchangeable with Shimano.
# Removable cups are machined from 7000 series aluminum alloy and are easily replaceable.
# Comes with British (1.37 inches x 24 threads per inch) or larger diameter Italian cups (36 mm x 24 threads per inch). Spindles are identical and always 102 mm long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts