Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now well into my weight loss regimin for the year and have had some good success. I've followed the rational guidelines to eat less and ride more and realize that it's pretty much calories in vs. calories out. I have, however, avoided fatty and sugary foods when possible. But there's certain areas of my body where fat won't seem to leave. Under my chin, behind my thigh and my lower back seem to carry excess fat no matter what I do. Is there any reasonable method of targeting fat or do my body's fat cells contract in THEIR own pre-determine way?

Thanks

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
mr meow meow said:
I'm now well into my weight loss regimin for the year and have had some good success. I've followed the rational guidelines to eat less and ride more and realize that it's pretty much calories in vs. calories out. I have, however, avoided fatty and sugary foods when possible. But there's certain areas of my body where fat won't seem to leave. Under my chin, behind my thigh and my lower back seem to carry excess fat no matter what I do. Is there any reasonable method of targeting fat or do my body's fat cells contract in THEIR own pre-determine way?

Thanks
Unfortunately there is no way to effectively target fat loss. The body metabolizes fat as it sees fit and there's not much to do but burn more fat. I have the same thing at my lower back until I get around 142-4 lbs (from 149 in the winter). Just have to keep at it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Targetting fat reduction

The only affective way to target specific locations for fat reduction is liposuction. Other than that, its all genetics and hormones.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
The fat will leave those places if you lower your body fat percentage enough.

Genetics and hormones determines where fat gets placed, but calorie intake / output determines how much is there.

Targetting fat by specific exercises in that region has been demonstrated to be nonsense. SOME studies have linked high-GI foods to inguinal fat, but that is tenuous at best and not what you're talking about anyway.

If you've lost quite a lot of weight, then you may have a little excess skin in areas that previously had a lot of adipose tissue, and could appear to "still be fat."

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies

Hopefully as I continue to lose I'll see some of those problem areas dissipate as well...

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
mr meow meow said:
Hopefully as I continue to lose I'll see some of those problem areas dissipate as well...
Adding muscle aids in the appearance of less fat. Many reasonably skinny cyclists appear to have fat arms, because of the jiggle due to lack of muscle.

I don't know how you can add muscle under your chin though!

Silas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts