Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Tom Boonen (Omega Pharma-Quick Step) has won this race for the past two years. For various reasons, he's not been firing on all cyclendars this Spring - but if he's going to contend, this is the race I would bet he will use for his coming out party. He'll have Cavendish and Steegmans for support. Phillippe Gilbert (BMC) and Fabian Cancellara (RadioShack Leopard Trek) are on the A-List of contenders as well. Gilbert is hungry for a Classics win and Spartacus will be reved up in the wake of his E3 victory.

But if these guys are going to win, they will have to go early - if it comes to a bunch sprint, Sagan, Cavendish, Griepel, Renshaw, Goss and Degenkolb are all in the field as well and the winner will most likely emerge from thier ranks.

Prediction: Gilbert on a flyer or Cavendish if it comes to a bunch sprint.

Start List / Startlijst :

Startlist Gent - Wevelgem, Gent-Wevelgem 2013 - CyclingFever - The International Cycling Social Network - Get the Cycling fever!

Gent - Wevelgem 2013: Start List | Cyclingnews.com

Info:

Elite men | Gent-Wevelgem

2013 Gent-Wevelgem Live Video, Route, Teams, Results, Photos, TV

Gent - Wevelgem 2013: Preview | Cyclingnews.com

Gilbert Leads BMC?s Charge For First Monument Win | Cyclingnews.com

Orica GreenEdge's Classics Fortunes Looking Up Second Time Around | Cyclingnews.com

Gent-Wevelgem Organisers Play Weather Waiting Game | Cyclingnews.com

Gent-Wevelgem Start Moved To Gistel | Cyclingnews.com

Devolder Supports Decision To Shorten Gent-Wevelgem | Cyclingnews.com

Gallery: Memorable Moments In Gent-Welvegem | Cyclingnews.com

Route Map and Profile:

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
The issue with this one would be withe Cav in the team if it comes to a bunch kick QS is going to ride for Cav because Boonen has little chance of beating Sagan in a stright up sprint (or anything else at the moment).

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, if Boonen can't get away, they will change horses and hope for Cavendish in the sprint.

At the moment, not knowing Boonen's state of recovery, Cavendish seems the better option for Omega Pharma-Quick Step right now.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Quick Step at Gent-Wevelgem 2013

Chavanel will probably go up the road, he almost always does.
That might prove difficult.

Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team

1 Tom Boonen
2 Mark Cavendish
3 Nikolas Maes
4 Gert Steegmans
5 Zdenek Stybar
6 Michal Kwiatkowski
7 Stijn Vandenbergh
8 Martin Velits

Plenty of other breakaway candidates there, including Boonen, but I suspect the team is riding for Cav in this one.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
That might prove difficult.

Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team

1 Tom Boonen
2 Mark Cavendish
3 Nikolas Maes
4 Gert Steegmans
5 Zdenek Stybar
6 Michal Kwiatkowski
7 Stijn Vandenbergh
8 Martin Velits

Plenty of other breakaway candidates there, including Boonen, but I suspect the team is riding for Cav in this one.
CAv has some awesome support in this one, can you imagine a Boonen, Steegmans lead out? Tom has won this but isn't his objective, his eye is on Flanders in the tri color

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
When the conditions get sketchy, I can't imagine Stybar not feeling at home. The worst road event can't compare to the average Belgian cross race. As for Boonen, I think he is simply still suffering the affects of the infection that almost took his arm. Three weeks off the bike is hard.

·
LA CHEVRE
2,475 Posts
The first 47K of the race has been eliminated due to weather conditions.

How does that change predictions?
It may play in the sprinter's favor, more likely to have bigger group together at the end. But they might skip a few berg if there's too much snow, the organizers will decide about that tomorrow AM, that would make a bigger group sprint finish even more likely.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.