Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of custom wheels from Mike Garcia at Odds & Endos. It took a month to get my wheels; as there were a few hub problems. I took my first ride on this wheel set today and these wheels feel pretty nice.

The Specs:
Hubs: American Classic HH200 Ultra Light Rear, and Micro 58 Front
Rims: Sun Ringle Venus 28 hole Rear, 24 hole Front
Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
Weight (with Ritchey Rim Tape): Front 658 g, Rear 833 g, Skewers 101 g.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Nice wheels. I normally cringe when someone says they're gonna use colored nipples, but those red nipples work well with the rest of the frame.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Great looking bike and a fine-looking set of wheels. Nice choices! May I suggest, however--and with all due respect--that you switch out your water bottle? Looks a touch out of place and even clunky on such an elegant machine with such carefully chosen parts. Maybe a black bottle (if available) or one of those Euro-looking ones in (matching) red or in a dark color? Just a suggestion. Also: only one bottle/cage? Surely, you do distance enough to warrant two sharp-looking cages, yes?

Which wheels did you have previously and what are the comparisons? Perhaps you'll need another ride or two to determine and compare/contrast.

Again, congrats on the wheels.
Nige

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frame only holds one bottle

GiantNigel said:
Great looking bike and a fine-looking set of wheels. Nice choices! May I suggest, however--and with all due respect--that you switch out your water bottle? Looks a touch out of place and even clunky on such an elegant machine with such carefully chosen parts. Maybe a black bottle (if available) or one of those Euro-looking ones in (matching) red or in a dark color? Just a suggestion. Also: only one bottle/cage? Surely, you do distance enough to warrant two sharp-looking cages, yes?

Which wheels did you have previously and what are the comparisons? Perhaps you'll need another ride or two to determine and compare/contrast.

Again, congrats on the wheels.
Nige
There is only one set of water bottle lugs on my frame (compact geometry and small frame). Nice thing about Japan, you don't need to carry more than one bottle as there is aways a vending machine or 7/11 right around the next bend. Rode two metrics and one century in the last week; never ran out of drink.

Previous wheel sets were Shimano 7701 and Mavic OP with DA hubs. The OP wheels I use for winter training and pot hole bashing rides; great wheels but 400 grams heavier and slower down hill. Shimano 7701 (16 spoke areo wheels) roll great but don't hold up to the rough roads; 300 g heavier than new wheel set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts