Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine commutes five days a week on a 700c hybrid.He has done this for years. He wants a road bike for longer spins and intends to do group rides /tours.
He has borrowed a couple of road bikes and finds he is very nervous on decents and corners. He has had the road bikes out for long enough to be sure about this - In other words its not just a case of getting used to the road bikes.
On his hybrid (700c 28,) he can corner and decend pretty good but seems to panic on the road bikes.
I ave very limited knowledge of frame design so I don't want to advise him and I was wondering is it the racing angles thats the prob? If he got a road bike with longer chainstays and more relaxed head and seat angles would he be ok? Or is it likely to be the heavier hybrid that instills the confidence? Just to be clear - I have seen him take the same bend a good 10 miles an hour faster on the Hybrid - close to double the speed he wil take it on the road bike.
Thanks for any advise

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Well, I think it IS just a case of him getting used to the road bike... if that's what he wants. I'm sure he isn't mentally or physically incapable of riding a road bike; he's just tense.

I had a big crash in 1998 (lots of surgeries, yadda yadda) and I can say it took more than a season (not just a long test ride on borrowed bikes) to descend and corner with my pre-accident comfort.

He also probably needs a few technical pointers regarding bike handling and his body weight, pedal position, etc. to corner confidently.

He's probably reacting to the quicker steering of the road bike (not just the weight per se) in feeling more comfortable on a hybrid. Definitely there are road bikes with more of a touring set up (in terms of angles, fork rake, chain stay length) that will feel less twitchy to him. If he wants to adjust to road biking, there's no reason he can't, but he needs to decide what he wants.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
FWIW my Colnago's geometry is really relaxed...nice and stable on descents. Some people like a quicker handling bike though.

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
It took me a full season moving off MTB to become completely comfortable with how a roadie handles. And that's after riding roadies all through high school and college. The tiniest little flick of the bars or adjustment to how I was sitting felt like I was being pushed into the out of control zone.

Slack head tube angles help, but I think it just takes time to get used to skinny tires and quicker handling.

· 100% torqued
766 Posts
A slight alteration in HT and/or ST angle doesn't make much difference. Discernable yes, but almost all road bikes handle very quickly when compared to hybrids. Learning to relax, and trusting that those skinny tires will hold way, way beyond your nerves in a corner are key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.