Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
hope Mr. Clueless Spectator has some very painful bruises today.

no sympathy for dolts that can't understand why it's a bad idea to stand on the race course when riders are present.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sad thing is that [spectator interference] is getting worse every year. Sooner or later the UCI is going to have to do something besides fine the riders.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
The best part was that it happened and Bennett didn't crash / get hurt.
Pro bike handling skills for the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Sadly, other than a sore jaw, and perhaps 15 seconds of fame, nothing will happen to the obnoxious spectator, and Froome will likely be fined.
what was the fine...250 euros or so. peanuts, and the team pays it any ways...not Froome.

just some PC PR to deflect any criticism that punching stupid people is 'acceptable'....

·
Registered
20,767 Posts

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I think this is wonderful.

Get a flag near Froomey's wheel and he'll ****ing smash your face. Get in George's way and he'll ****ing plow your stupid ass right over.

I love that the riders are taking it to the fans. It's about ****ing time they started getting their asses handed to them.

Stay the **** out of the road you inbreds.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I don't think the Bennett collision was intentional, at full speed it happened pretty fast around a corner where he was screened by another spectator as the one he ran into went out into the road.

·
Registered
510 Posts
One of the great things about this particular sport is that almost anyone can come out to watch the professionals race and cheer them on. It's just too bad that a few idiots are going to ruin it for everyone else.

The cyclist already have a difficult time racing with each other shoulder to shoulder, avoiding motorcyclist and trying to win. I can see Froome's frustration when a fan is waving a big ass flag right in front of him potentially getting snagged or caught in his wheel. A whole seasons work can be undone by one idiotic fan.

·
Registered
103 Posts
he ran into went out into the road.
That just isn't a good idea when their bikes on the course, whether it looks clear or not.

At every race I've been to there are people who find reasons to run across the course just before or during the action. Like we've been camping on Alpe D'Huez for a week, and just before the gendarmes roll past on their motorcycles some guy just absolutely has to cross the road.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
£157 (about $200usd) Money well spent.
If that's all the fine is, more riders should earn some fines. Maybe spectators will stop being such dangerous A-holes.
I was at this year's Giro. My first time spectating a grand tour event. I was up at the crest of the Col Agnello and expected this kind of behavior but was surprised to see everyone politely applauding and yelling out encouragement, with everyone planted firmly at the edge of the narrow road. Not one person ran out, pushed, touched, or otherwise disturbed the riders. It was actually kind of quiet as they passed by, granted it was cold and we were up there for 4+ hours waiting.

Is it possible that these disruptive personalities post up at lower elevations just outside of town so they can hit the bars before and after?

Still want to do the TdF dutch corner one year.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Andorra seemed particularly bad... On the flip side, everyone in the entire country was out watching the race. Stupid fan behavior is nothing new and the nature of the sport makes it impossible to prevent. In a Q and A session with Jens a few years ago someone asked him the obnoxious fan question... "How do you deal with fans in the way and that close etc?" His answer was pure Jens. "I remember that they may have been there for days waiting for this very moment. Waiting for us, waiting for me, as one of us, to ride past them. So, maybe 1% or less get in the way sometimes, but no matter, they are there and are complete race fans, they are the reason we ride and race. Fans camping out to watch us, watch me ride by, it's very humbling. It makes any little dumb stuff fade away to where it should be, a non-happening." I did my best to capture his answer, and I'm pretty damn close to spot on, I remember it perfectly because it surprised me and it was so wonderful in all of his broken English. Jens is the best.

Im not defending the idiots who get in the way. It's unthinkable. Guys literally killing themselves to keep up a rhythm... Doing anything they can to make the top of the climb... But Jens is so above all the "punch them in the face" stupidity. He's a role model. He's a great cyclist in so many different ways.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Andorra seemed particularly bad... On the flip side, everyone in the entire country was out watching the race. Stupid fan behavior is nothing new and the nature of the sport makes it impossible to prevent. In a Q and A session with Jens a few years ago someone asked him the obnoxious fan question... "How do you deal with fans in the way and that close etc?" His answer was pure Jens. "I remember that they may have been there for days waiting for this very moment. Waiting for us, waiting for me, as one of us, to ride past them. So, maybe 1% or less get in the way sometimes, but no matter, they are there and are complete race fans, they are the reason we ride and race. Fans camping out to watch us, watch me ride by, it's very humbling. It makes any little dumb stuff fade away to where it should be, a non-happening." I did my best to capture his answer, and I'm pretty damn close to spot on, I remember it perfectly because it surprised me and it was so wonderful in all of his broken English. Jens is the best.

Im not defending the idiots who get in the way. It's unthinkable. Guys literally killing themselves to keep up a rhythm... Doing anything they can to make the top of the climb... But Jens is so above all the "punch them in the face" stupidity. He's a role model. He's a great cyclist in so many different ways.
Well that's cool.
Now let's hear what Jens had to say about the Colombian and Froome.
"You have my total support!! That was the only thing you could do in this situation. Stand your ground!! Good on ya! @chrisfroome"

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Sad thing is that [spectator interference] is getting worse every year. Sooner or later the UCI is going to have to do something besides fine the riders.
I don't think it is getting worse!

I've read a few Pro cycling biographies. Especially the ones involving Italian fans and non-Italian racers (eg in the 87 Giro, Roche was constantly punched and threatened and hounded in the Giro. eg Merckx being assaulted by fans in the Tour). Or french fans throwing tacks on the roads, punching and blocking Merckx and worse. The Pyrenees have traditionally had the most awful crush of fans hounding the riders. Usually waving a million Basque flags, which I saw few of this year

Who Punched Eddy Merckx? The Conclusion | Bicycling

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
these brainiacs should try that crap at an F1 race...

poof...! red mist...
What of fans got up in the face and in the way of nfl football players? Running up beside someone as he's trying to score a touch down? Guarantee his punch would hurt a lot more than Froome's!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts