Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
mcsqueak said:
OK, so I just moved over to my new place off of Sylvan... these hills are going to eat me alive. :)

At my old place in NE, I had to actively look for hills, so I started doing Mt. Tabor on most every solo ride. Now all I have are "Mt. Tabors" to ride.

I suffer pretty badly on climbs, but at least it'll make me stronger, hopefully more quickly!
who doesn't suffer? they say the best climbers don't suffer less, they just suffer faster....

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
mcsqueak said:
OK, so I just moved over to my new place off of Sylvan... these hills are going to eat me alive. :)

At my old place in NE, I had to actively look for hills, so I started doing Mt. Tabor on most every solo ride. Now all I have are "Mt. Tabors" to ride.

I suffer pretty badly on climbs, but at least it'll make me stronger, hopefully more quickly!
They're not too bad...now that winter and the rain is here, I'll be riding them on my single speed :) Newberry road on a 46x17 gear sucks big time :mad2:

Just remember...the more time you spend in the hills, the faster/stronger you will get :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wookiebiker said:
They're not too bad...now that winter and the rain is here, I'll be riding them on my single speed :) Newberry road on a 46x17 gear sucks big time :mad2:

Just remember...the more time you spend in the hills, the faster/stronger you will get :thumbsup:
46X17 would suck on most of the hills in town. :D

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Wookiebiker said:

Ha yeah I just have to man the f up, it'll be good for me! If I can make the most of my time up here maybe I can start riding with the 18-20s soon. :D

Also, why do you switch to a singlespeed during the winter? A new challenge and less hardware to maintain after wet rides?

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
mcsqueak said:
Also, why do you switch to a singlespeed during the winter? A new challenge and less hardware to maintain after wet rides?
I switch to the single speed speed because it's simple...I can come home, throw the bike in the garage and not worry about cleaning it, tuning it or doing anything but having it there for the next ride. Also if I do clean it, it's very easy to clean.

From a training perspective it's great because it helps develop your spin, but also builds a lot of power when we hit the hills. I've been grinding up 14% grades at 5 mph and on the same ride been sprinting with others at 36 mph....so even though it's only got one gear, it's quite versatile :D

Of course the 3 broken spokes I had on todays ride takes away a bit of the reliability factor :( But they are an easy fix.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
They're not too bad...now that winter and the rain is here, I'll be riding them on my single speed :) Newberry road on a 46x17 gear sucks big time :mad2: ...:
Eek!! :yikes:
Man, do I feel like a puss- I'm slow on my geared bike w/ a 30x28t!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
@danielc - i tried your route today up to council crest, it was definitely a good challenge and a nice change from my usual. some nice extended sections over 10%, my legs+lungs were definitely grateful for the false flat on fairmount.
you should try the rubbertotheroad route sometime, it doesn't has as many long sections that steep but does include a few 'nice' surprises along the way.
thanks!

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
I switch to the single speed speed because it's simple...I can come home, throw the bike in the garage and not worry about cleaning it, tuning it or doing anything but having it there for the next ride. Also if I do clean it, it's very easy to clean.

From a training perspective it's great because it helps develop your spin, but also builds a lot of power when we hit the hills. I've been grinding up 14% grades at 5 mph and on the same ride been sprinting with others at 36 mph....so even though it's only got one gear, it's quite versatile :D

Of course the 3 broken spokes I had on todays ride takes away a bit of the reliability factor :( But they are an easy fix.
Yeah, I like the simplicity factor. I have an old Peugeot that I may turn into a singlespeed when I have some time and extra cash (I'd rather spend it on my current bike, I want a new saddle and lighter wheels :D). It would be nice to have as an option and pretty fun too, especially if you get a wheel that you can flop and have two different gear combinations handy, just in case.

I just can't imagine going up double-digit grades on a singlespeed, though. Ugh.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
thumbprinter said:
who doesn't suffer? they say the best climbers don't suffer less, they just suffer faster....
Yes that's what they say, though I wish I was one of those suffering faster. :D I suffer pretty badly, though I think that's due to lack of fitness (heh, what else). I'm not a big guy (5'11", 175 lbs) but I climb pretty slowly, and on tough climbs I feel like I start to run out of oxygen, my heart will start beating REALLY hard, and sometimes my sides up near my back will start to ache, but usually my legs feel like they have more to give still. It just doesn't feel too good. :D

I'm good on 4-7%, but when it ticks up from that it starts to get much harder for me. It was a big deal (for me) when I was able to start doing Mt Tabor this summer without stopping, and then on back to back days or multiple times in a row.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts