Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed that 2-3 gerolsteiner riders were going for stage wins and working pretty hard on a pretty long, warm stage. This seems a bit wasteful, given that Levi is now one of the favorites for the podium. Will they be able to protect Levi later in the race? Maybe it's early enough in the race that it won't matter, but it seems like a mistake to me.

· Registered
36 Posts
Well I didn't see any of his teammates in break aways, also I didn't see very many of his teammates really going for it at the end by Robbie Mckeon and the other top spriters. Things do tend to get gumbled up toward the end so maybe I missed them.

If they were going for it, I don't think that would be a very smart move, team Discovery Channel always stayed toward the front on the flat stages even though Lance always went for it in the Mountains. They were probally just staying near the front incase someone threating later on in the race tryed to make a drastic move.

· Registered
509 Posts
I think that you are only looking at the postal/discovery channel approach to the tour. Gerolsteiner has a sprinter that they have to get out there and Fabian Wegmann is
shooting for the polka dot jersey so they arent all focused on Levi. Although I think
later on, he will get less help than he will need in the mountains. Other teams like Lotto have a sprinter and a GC guy to work for, discovery channel doesnt have anyone for the sprints.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok

I see your point, and I guess that is also my point. The Postal/Disco method is probably the right strategy this year, because it's more wide open. For instance, if Levi gets the yellow jersey, some of the gerolsteiner boys will be burned up. It'll be hard for them to control the race, and Levi will eventually be isolated.

Of course Gerolsteiner might not care too much about the top step and are going for a more conservative approach. Just get a podium and stage wins. That's good enough for the sponsors, but it is also at the expense of maximizing chances for winning the Tour.

Well, it's just a thought. We'll see how things end up. It's going to be exciting to watch at least!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.