·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Len J said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/02/19/williams.drug.test/index.html

How come it's always so obvious to those outside.....and the substance abuser can't see it?

Sigh.....

Len
The guy likes his weed...if he's gonna use substances I'd rather him smoke some grass than drink himself into a stupor with alcohol. Plus most people know that pot stays in your system for up to a month after using so it's not like he had to have been high when he tested positive.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
it's a shame.

He has the ability to be one of the best-ever.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Len J said:
how addicted do you need to be to not get the equation......If I smoke=loss of $9,000,000 contract...........and then smoke anyway?

Len
Well, atleast money isn't the most important thing in his life.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had......

Kram59 said:
He has the ability to be one of the best-ever.
not has!

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An addict is an addict.......

Bocephus Jones II said:
The guy likes his weed...if he's gonna use substances I'd rather him smoke some grass than drink himself into a stupor with alcohol. Plus most people know that pot stays in your system for up to a month after using so it's not like he had to have been high when he tested positive.
how addicted do you need to be to not get the equation......If I smoke=loss of $9,000,000 contract...........and then smoke anyway?

Len

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
*If* he straightens out, he still would be a considerable force to recon with.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Len J said:

Len
Yeah it's stupid. I just can't see how someone can be physically addicted to pot though. Suppose everyone's body chemistry is different though.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure speaks volumes......

Bocephus Jones II said:
Yeah it's stupid. I just can't see how someone can be physically addicted to pot though. Suppose everyone's body chemistry is different though.
about how powerful addiction is.

I think they call it....Stinkin' Thinkin'

Len

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Len J said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/02/19/williams.drug.test/index.html

How come it's always so obvious to those outside.....and the substance abuser can't see it?

Sigh.....

Len
There are so many different ways that addicts and alcoholics rationalize their behavior; nobody knows what I am going through, it's just to relax, everyone else does it, if you had to do what I do you'd ____ too, etc. We know what we are doing is wrong, but we hope to convince others it's normal because that seems easier than stopping. For the addicted, the idea of spending the rest of her life not getting loaded is terrifying. His inconsistent behavior, the soul searching, the retirement and return to football, these are all consistent with someone who has a serious substance abuse problem.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
You know what happens when you ASSUME

Guess what? Everyone is reporting that it wasn't pot:

After testing positive for marijuana in three previous NFL drug tests, Dolphins running back Ricky Williams tested positive again, but this time the banned substance is not marijuana, according to sources.
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/13921386.htm

It seems likely that it could be some sort of supplement, something considered a masking agent, or too much water in the urine. I think it's too early to assume he was smoking pot again, especially considering he was pretty forthcoming about his pot use in the past.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
nate said:
Guess what? Everyone is reporting that it wasn't pot:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/13921386.htm

It seems likely that it could be some sort of supplement, something considered a masking agent, or too much water in the urine. I think it's too early to assume he was smoking pot again, especially considering he was pretty forthcoming about his pot use in the past.
Well that would make a hell of a lot more sense. I can see getting addicted to something like crack/coke/booze, but pot? I know pot isn't health food or anything, but it's probably less harmful to you than many over the counter medications.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bocephus Jones II said:
Well that would make a hell of a lot more sense. I can see getting addicted to something like crack/coke/booze, but pot? I know pot isn't health food or anything, but it's probably less harmful to you than many over the counter medications.
In what way?

I know people addicted to Pot who have no motivation, are glassy eyed all day and generally in as delerious a state as any other addict.......why differentiate?

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, but.....

dr hoo said:
You can OD on aspirin, but not pot. That's one way.
the thrust and context of this post was that Ricky had a problem and needed to get help......no one, until you, talked about OD'ing. Although I do agree that in that way it is different.

The guy has a clear substance abuse problem, can't or won't do anything about it....it is affecting his life negatively, and he needs help. Saying that because it's Pot, it's no big deal (which was the implication of BJ's posts) is, IMO disingenious.

Len

·
gazing from the shadows
27,211 Posts
Len J said:
Saying that because it's Pot, it's no big deal (which was the implication of BJ's posts) is, IMO disingenious.
OTC and prescription drugs are very dangerous, and cause medical problems and even death every year for thousands. Pain killers alone are highly addictive.

Physically addictive. As in withdrawl happens if they are taken away. Pot is not physically addictive, and does little damage when used in moderation.

Alcohol is much, much worse. Not only is it physically destructive, but it also contributes to violence. Robberies, domestic abuse, murder, all have high rates of alcohol being involved.

Potheads don't beat people up. They just sit there.

Compared with other substances in our soceity, pot really is no big deal.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Len J said:
In what way?

I know people addicted to Pot who have no motivation, are glassy eyed all day and generally in as delerious a state as any other addict.......why differentiate?

Len
well from personal experience--at one point I smoked pot daily for over a year. Never at work--always after work while winding down for the day just like someone would do with a beer or 2. One day I got tired of paying for it and simply quit. No withdrawals or cravings. No harder than quitting eating potato chips would be. It was MUCH harder to quit smoking cigarettes. Not all drugs are equal in their propensity to cause physical or even psychological addiction. Opiates (and sometimes even alcohol) actually cause physical addiction so I'd put them down as having much higher potential for abuse and addiction. Pot, LSD, Mushrooms OTOH have very little potential for physical addiction.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agree, but.....

Bocephus Jones II said:
well from personal experience--at one point I smoked pot daily for over a year. Never at work--always after work while winding down for the day just like someone would do with a beer or 2. One day I got tired of paying for it and simply quit. No withdrawals or cravings. No harder than quitting eating potato chips would be. It was MUCH harder to quit smoking cigarettes. Not all drugs are equal in their propensity to cause physical or even psychological addiction. Opiates (and sometimes even alcohol) actually cause physical addiction so I'd put them down as having much higher potential for abuse and addiction.
just because you didn't get addicted to it, doesn't mean it is not addicting.

BTW, I think THC is an opiate....it's just a lower intensity in pot. Wrong?

Ricky clearly has an addiction. Why split hairs over it's source?

len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still missing my point......

dr hoo said:
OTC and prescription drugs are very dangerous, and cause medical problems and even death every year for thousands. Pain killers alone are highly addictive.

Physically addictive. As in withdrawl happens if they are taken away. Pot is not physically addictive, and does little damage when used in moderation.

Alcohol is much, much worse. Not only is it physically destructive, but it also contributes to violence. Robberies, domestic abuse, murder, all have high rates of alcohol being involved.

Potheads don't beat people up. They just sit there.

Compared with other substances in our soceity, pot really is no big deal.
This is about someone who is clearly addicted....who cares what the source is?

What am I missing?

Are you saying that if his 4th failure is for pot it's not a problem, because it's Pot?

Len

1 - 20 of 34 Posts