Discussion Starter #3
canal locks

water works at speed

Blackhorse Road Station on the Victoria Line

Waltham Forest City Hall

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
The perspective of shots taken from the left edge of the road seem so odd.

Cool stuff.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
The backwards streets are freaking me out.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the bike

1970's British cyclocross frame by Pearson - fixed 41x16

and on a sunnier day

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
We had discussed the possibility of moving to Japan for my next tour of duty. I don't know how I would react to riding on the left side of the road. My learned behaviour is to always swerve right to avoid a collision. I wonder how long it would take me to lose that. Nice pictures, reminds me of the Pacific Northwest.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
M.J. said:
Lea River

and a return to more familiar London traffic at Tottenham Hale
do they draw the bike lane signs on the pavement freehand? I've wondered a number of times now...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nice Pics!

Nice Pictures! It's so cool to see the shots from bike rides overseas. The ones from the left side of the road freak me out too! Cool bike also. :cool:
MN Dan

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
like most big cities weekend drivers are a real hazard - as are suburban drivers

London drivers accept cyclists as routine - trust me there are still problems - but the majority of drivers are great - cycling has increased 100% in central London since 2000 - the more cyclists the safer we all are

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bigbill said:
We had discussed the possibility of moving to Japan for my next tour of duty. I don't know how I would react to riding on the left side of the road. My learned behaviour is to always swerve right to avoid a collision. I wonder how long it would take me to lose that. Nice pictures, reminds me of the Pacific Northwest.
in my experience you get used to it real quick - even quicker on a bike than in a car - in a car even when you get used to it checking mirrors provokes some comedy moments

for emergencies on a bike you'll probably head for space rather than left or right - Geocyclist's posts are a great advertisement for cycling in Japan

·
Registered
19 Posts
do they draw the bike lane signs on the pavement freehand?
When they put down the "bike lane markings" (the green surface) it's kind of like a sticky gravel which only really solidifies after some pressure from traffic (usually takes a few weeks). The bike lane signs are like big stickers which may be distorted when they're first slapped onto the surface, and may further distort as they get run over before the surface sets.

(edit: sorry, i replied to the wrong post)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live very close to the first couple of shots.
It's really nice to ride those canal towpaths.... as long as it's early morning and/or the weather is foul. It can be extremely harrowing to try and get around all the walkers, kids on bikes, dogs, etc.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
DPV said:
When they put down the "bike lane markings" (the green surface) it's kind of like a sticky gravel which only really solidifies after some pressure from traffic (usually takes a few weeks). The bike lane signs are like big stickers which may be distorted when they're first slapped onto the surface, and may further distort as they get run over before the surface sets.

(edit: sorry, i replied to the wrong post)
Looks fine to me. Sort of a Salvidor Dali look while you are riding.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,257 Posts
A fun post. Love your bike. I say we all meet at the Mogadishu Restaurant for dinner.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts