Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rode across an area where the road crew was paving. The guy waved me through on fresh blacktop. My tires were coated with sticky goo. I rode home, and picked up every pebble in the county. My tires look like aggregate driveway!! So, what is the best way to get that stuff off? I already cleaned and degreased the bike. It looks good. I tried Simple Green degreaser on the tires, but it did very little. These are my new Hutchinson 5 tubeless tires, too! Thoughts?

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Have any of that stuff in the garage for removing bugs from the front bumper? If so that might work.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could try riding it off. I've done that with good luck.
I cleaned off what I could with white vinegar, and that has helped some. I don't want to use anything that could weaken the rubber. At this point looks like I will ride off the rest.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I scrape off as much as I can with a dull steel edge (like a butter knife), then just ride until the rest comes off. I'd avoid solvents.

Reactions: dndrich

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I scrape off as much as I can with a dull steel edge (like a butter knife), then just ride until the rest comes off. I'd avoid solvents.
Now, that is a good idea. Wish I had thought of it! Well, I used vinegar, but the tire looks OK.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Arrrrrggghh!!! Been there, done that! :mad5:

What worked for me was riding a mile or two more until dry dust, road dirt and tiny pebbles made the tires just a little less sticky. But in case you didn't notice, pebbles stuck to tires slow you down and make a very annoying sound while riding. :mad2:

I then stopped, got a rag out and wiped all the stuck pebbles off. After that, I just rode the rest of the goo off as it wasn't sticky enough anymore to pick up pebbles.

You could try the vinegar idea if you want. I wouldn't use tar remover or any harsh solvents on tires.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Kerosine will dissolve tar. So will Engine Brite. It will probably dissolve your tires too. I have found the butter knife to be the best bet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts