Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That was supposed to say STRIKETH down....

Friday morning, 4th of July ride. Two options... a 76.5 and a 54. The groups started together and there was a complete wild disparity in skill levels from fitness (ms150 type riders to racers). Our sponsor shop helped organize it, so our race team had a pretty big turnout and it was our plan to wait until we got out of town and into the countryside before we would pick up the pace and otherwise take off. This seemed to for whatever reason spook the normals and for whatever reason, there were people that shouldn't be... streaking to the front of this somewhat large group of riders. This caused some really peculiar and unsteady undulations in speeds and erratic behavior at the front of the pack that was unnerving... but I suppose not unexpected in a "mass start" for the make up of the group.

Anyway on a downhill with somewhat questionable surface, there was something weird going on up front. I was maybe 20 bikes back with riders on either side and all my spidey senses started going off. I just felt something was going awry, and sure as heck there was a brake/slowing in the gutter and some dude a bike or two back along the gutter went down. The dude in front of me starts looking around veers wildly right, then left in the middle of the pack, turns out the guy that went down was his son. AND IT TURNS OUT THE KID (HIS SON) WAS RIDING IN A GROUP RIDE RIDING ON HIS AEROBARS AND LISTENING TO HIS IPOD. It turns out that he was not hurt seriously, some major rash and some shoulder pain, but no broken bones.

I put that in caps because neither one has any place in a group ride and that some of the things that are talked about here make sense. So, I know that many of you might do one of the above, but dont do both or the cycling gods will undoubtedly strike you down.

After the ride, his father was back at the start after coming back from the hospital. He immediately was recouting the play by play and said that there was some jerk shouting at him to right straight and stop swerving (...ME), I said that was me. He reiterated to the group of us that his son was on his aeros and listening to his ipod on group rides....and so I jokingly said that it was an interesting lesson why not to do either on a group ride and he said no, his teenaged son said he wouldnt stop riding his aeros or with the ipod... he just wouldnt participate in group rides anymore. Hmmm. Yeah, THATS the problem...

anyway.

dont break more than one of the cardinal rules, or statistics will get you.

·
Registered
638 Posts
It really shocks me how some people ride. I use the ipod alot but never in a group ride. and when I roll into a heavy traffic area I turn it off. Aerobars have no place in a group ride like that, it seems that most people just think that theyre putting themselves at risk and dont care but I can tell you right now that if I get rear ended by some D-bag thats all aero'd out in a group ride I wont be too pleased

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
When I do rides like that, which isn't often, I usually wait for about 10 min. after the start. That way, pretty much whatever is going to happen is over, and it's easy to pick my way through the stragglers.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
Jim Nazium said:
Candidate for a future Darwin award.
Nahhh! I saw a better candidate for a Darwin award on my ride to work yesterday (July 7).
I'm on a bike path, right side of the road (two way street), and I'm freewheeling looking behind me to see if cars are coming my way while at the same time looking at the intersection evaluating the time to cross (stop signs all over). I will have to switch over to the left side pretty soon since the bike path is on that side after the intersection.
This young buck with an MP3 player passes me full speed and without looking crosses onto the left side almost getting hit by a van. As if that wasn't enough he re-crosses onto the other side (he's on the left side now) to continue his merry way onto the bike path. He almost gets hit a 2nd time by a car comming from that side as well.
Funny thing is once we started climbing the bridge a few km's further he was just gasping for air. I guess that 5 second advantage he got while almost getting hit twice didn't really help him.
Moral of the story, you need all your senses when riding whether in a group or all alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.