Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 3TT Record stem that I wanted to run with some newer 3T ergo type bars. Problem is the sharp bend of the hooks doesn't want to let the stem pass. I have it wedged open and it still is a no-go. Any tips?

Short of that, I was considering the 3T Evol stem with the hinged face plate would work. Only aspect is I don't think it goes well with the old 80's Vitus. The 3T Pro Chrome was absolutely hideous but it went on without a fight.

Do the current Nitto Dynamics have the relief on the current offerings for sharper bend bars? This is the least expensive stem solution.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Kuma601 said:
I was considering the 3T Evol stem with the hinged face plate would work. Only aspect is I don't think it goes well with the old 80's Vitus.
Yes, but neither would "ergo type" bars. Definitely not "period correct" and, by the way, having tried them, they suck!:D

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL...it doesn't come easy, the modern stuff ruins it. Picked up some SRAM 500 series brake levers because I didn't like the feel of the old Shimano aero hoods. Unfortunately the traditional bend bars I have left don't have the width, reach and drop I like. One hunt for another...:(

I didn't anticipate having to re-fit myself to the bike but what worked then doesn't pass 20+ years later. How I managed to ride that stretched out amazes me. Easiest is to leave it as you saw it with the flat bar.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Kuma601 said:
Have a 3TT Record stem that I wanted to run with some newer 3T ergo type bars. Problem is the sharp bend of the hooks doesn't want to let the stem pass. I have it wedged open and it still is a no-go. Any tips?

Short of that, I was considering the 3T Evol stem with the hinged face plate would work. Only aspect is I don't think it goes well with the old 80's Vitus. The 3T Pro Chrome was absolutely hideous but it went on without a fight.

Do the current Nitto Dynamics have the relief on the current offerings for sharper bend bars? This is the least expensive stem solution.
I would look at the Cinelli Oyster stem if your looking for a hinged stem that looks somewhat retro. I have a 115mm in mint shape ( not mine below) if your interested.
Other wise:
take the bolt out the front of the stem.
put the bolt back in from the back side.
place a dime in the gap (below the opening for the bars).
tighten the bolt into the dime.
should hold the stem open enough for you
to get your bars in.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
As much as I like retro, I do prefer quill stems with removable faceplates and 90 degree rise. Looks be damned, give me comfort and ease.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is turning into quite the mental exercise. Either way I look, seems ~$100 is the route. The few detachable face or hinged stems still in circulation or the quill to threadless route. Ugh...

The detachable face and hinged quill stems have had sporadic failures. Probably over torqued in my estimation. To eliminate that aspect, that leads to a threadless conversion which is ghastly. I'll see if I can hunt down some nicer bend bars but I like these particular bars. They aren't too far out of being period correct. Although I bought the Vitus in '89, I estimate it at '87 production. The bars and stem came in '89 and or '90. Not too big a spread.

Either of these:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Don't buy the Motus. I had one, and despite my best efforts and proper torque, the lower plate cracked. There's similar tales all over the interwebz.

I loved it. It was beautiful, and made bar swaps/adjustments effortless, but not worth it in the end. I now have a $100 paperweight, and have switched back to my old reliable Nitto.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Becky...I like the design but didn't feel this was as durable. The hinged version also has stress related issues so either is iffy. I had a Nitto Dynamic on hand but in a shorter length to use as a test fit. Managed to get it on the bars but it still chewed a section at the bend.

In the whole CF scheme even though the bars in this case are alu, leaving gouges just doesn't make me happy.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The NOS TTT I scored for a whopping $25 (boy did I get lucky) on fleabay has a second threaded "bolt" to expand the opening when inserting the bar. Don't know the model name but it's one sweet stem.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a nitto lugged stem kicking around that I don't use. It has a section cut out of the bar clamp area that allows you to easily insert an ergo bar. That might be an option. The lugs are unique look.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had similar problems with bars. I wanted to run carbon (for some reason) but I wanted to keep the classic look of quill stem (also had a threaded headset and fork that I didn't want to repalce). So what I bought was a quill with removable face plate made by 3T and called the Mutant. I think they might be a bit hard to find but look really nice. Here is a link:
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/controls/stems/3ttt/PRD_129787_2515crx.aspx

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Richard, that bike looks nice!

Have you (or can you) post some full size photos? Or send me to the page in the pics thread. That one is a tease and now I want to see more.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi first post here so hello! I have an early 80's 3TTT stem and I managed to get my (purely temporary) ergo bars into - it just took lots and lots of rotating/spinning the bars around. frustrating but no scratches. BTW the real solution would be a top quality traditional bar shape, any ideas? Ive been on the lookout for some 3ttt's but can never find them in the US. Also check out PlanetX in the UK they are selling off NOS 3ttt stock for between $5 and $20 stems as well as a lot of bars. However the shipping is a killer - $43 for a stem. Possibly time for a group buy?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Richard's Record 84 just kills me...at $25. :cool: I like these stems too but unfortunately they don't cooperate well with anything but the old school bars that I have. Another unfortunate is the old bars I have the reach and drop just don't get the fit I desire. :(

The Evol 2002 stem arrived today and I'm looking at it. I wish they pressed the pin to run the length of the hinge. As it is, it has surface area of about 75% of the width. That IMO is a good amount of localized stress to hold a bar when torqued.

This is going on my errand bike which I don't come close to riding hard so there is a wee bit more reassurance. It's not like the beefy Thron tubed, Pro Chrome on the Atala or the other Record 84's which I don't even give second thought to. 3T's have been great but I don't know what they did in this design. Although I do find it pretty.

In the end, I may wind up with an appropriate sized Nitto Dynamic. I just like 3T so that was the original preference.

BTW...I came across the Motus breaking but have not found a direct posting of the Evol breaking. Any comments-thoughts?

icemonkey-Also check out PlanetX in the UK they are selling off NOS 3ttt stock for between $5 and $20 stems as well as a lot of bars. However the shipping is a killer - $43 for a stem. Possibly time for a group buy?
Thanks for the link. They do have good prices though the $37 for shipping isn't bad considering 3T stems are becoming scarce.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
nayr497 said:
Richard, that bike looks nice!

Have you (or can you) post some full size photos? Or send me to the page in the pics thread. That one is a tease and now I want to see more.
I've posted a bunch in the "Falcon Reborn Redux" thread, but here's a few more.

By the way, I put 60 miles on it with the club ride today. Reminds me why I still have this bike after 22 years. Restored it last year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts