Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week I was feeling pretty run down with a sore throat, runny nose etc. I ended up taking thursday and friday completely off before a 55 mile road race on Sat. During the race I felt pretty good and did well but immediately started feeling much worse later Sat. and Sun. I ended up taking Sun. through Tues. off the bike, with an hour E1-E2 (friel zones) on Wed. and 2:15 E1-E2 with some harder efforts on Thursday.

I felt pretty weak during the harder efforts yesterday, I have no races scheduled for this weekend but an important stage race next weekend. Any suggestions on the best way to recover and get back on track for next weekend. Do I taper for the next week, or do some hard efforts early in the week and taper from there? Any input is appreciated.

Wayne

·
Apa kabar?
269 Posts
listen to the body...

i think i would listen to what my body is telling me. i would take it easy on your first ride bike, at least at the beginning to see how the body is feeling. if you are feeling good, then i would insert a few hard efforts, but i wouldn't over-do it the first time back out, especially if you felt bad on sat and sun after your hard race. if this is your "it" race, then i would really consider a taper for it. the extra fitness you would gain by pushing it and having tired legs will most likely not help you as much as tapering and having fresh legs. this is just what i would do. your body will let you know what is too much or not enough.
hope it helps, and good luck to you!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
That sucks. I don't have any great advice for you specifically, but I'll tell you that I got a cold in February and went with the "train through it" plan. Big mistake. Six weeks later and two separate week-long stints off the bike and I was FINALLY over it. I should have just taken a week off at the beginning.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Terrible timing

Yeah, after a busy spring it seems like the last few weeks my legs have started to come around and with some good results the last couple weeks I figured I'd be peaking just in time for my first A race and now it feels like I've regressed a couple weeks. Hopefully it's only temporary...

Thanks,
wayne

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Thanks to knee problems I was off the bike from beginning of October to mid April this year. Needless to say I feel like a newby still. Twenty five mile rides give me a workout. (Last year my average ride was 42.7 miles).

Be thankful that you don't have to come back from that :D (oh yea, + 15 pounds)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.