Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help. I've started to think of a return to racing after an almost 10 year lay-off.
Was thinking of some training and low-key training races in and around Lakewood, Co. when I return to CO in Mid-May. Does anyone have an idea as to avg. speed to these events/rides etc. Just wondering if I'm ready yet to "Turn my wheels in anger" again.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Knowing the average speed of a mass-start race isn't helpful. As you must remember, these races are a complex combination of strength and tactics. Some run at a high average speed and are easy, while others average slower and are very hard.

If you're thinking of time trialing, look at some local results of 25 mile (or 40 km) time trials. Twenty years ago, 25 miles in under one hour was the exception for amateurs. Now it's common.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
lets see... around the lakehood...

you do know most local races are listed at www.americancycling.org right?
do the Lookout HC in early may. That will tell you where your fitness is these days. Unless you are a really big guy and are more of a sprinter.

Wheels of Thunder is at the state patrol course on south table mt.

Coal miners classic is an ominum in golden

but circle on your calandar June 4th for the City Park crit in denver
I promise a wing ding of titanic proportions!
well, its a great techincal course and there is the first evening of the City Park jazz festivle starting that day!

And pass the word to the little ones... Got a kids race for those under 10. Even had a big wheel entry 2 years ago :D

feel free to PM me for more details on that one... for some strange reason i seam to know a lot about it...
-d

1 - 3 of 3 Posts