Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you people will beat me back down into my place, so here goes. Everyone says your 20s are the best time of life, but how come I've spent most of mine so far feeling old? Seriously, my little cousin was born in 1992 or 1993 and she's starting high school in a couple of months. I remember 1993, for pete's sake! I mean, it's weird. In like a year she'll be one of those people everyone oggles. That makes me feel so old. :(

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
paint, what????? You're not old, believe me. And one of the best times in a person's life is at uni. Meeting new people, nobody to be responsible for except yourself, new activities, clubs, etc. I know how old your are. Just think, in 9 days, I'll turn 39...yikes!
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
104 Posts
paint said:
I know you people will beat me back down into my place, so here goes. Everyone says your 20s are the best time of life, but how come I've spent most of mine so far feeling old? Seriously, my little cousin was born in 1992 or 1993 and she's starting high school in a couple of months. I remember 1993, for pete's sake! I mean, it's weird. In like a year she'll be one of those people everyone oggles. That makes me feel so old. :(
Ahhhhhhh Jeez . . . Lightweight --

I was born when Truman was Pres. The Korean War had not quite gotten under way.

The 20's were good years. I got laid a great deal. This was back before HIV/AIDS, when pot cost $10 an ounce and mostly people turned you on for free.

I remember the Beatle's first tour in the USA. They came to Portland, OR. I was about 16. This would be 1964.

The 30's and 40's were OK. I remember being a pretty strong rider when I was 30 something. Now I'm 58 and felllow riders call me "diesel" because I can just set a cadence and run it forever.

I'm retired, live in a nice house at the coast, get up in the morning and have to decide if I want to mow the pastures on the John Deere or ride the Harley down the coast for breakfast.

I have a G/F who's 28, 6' 2" and an RN.

Age is only a number --

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,256 Posts
I am now in my fifties, and from the heights of Olympus I can tell you that your thirties are when at your best. You're still every bit as good-looking and healthy as you were in your twenties, but you have more endurance. Your life has settled down a bit, so you are less neurotic. You finally have some money. You are able to move out of that crappy apartment into something nice.

In other words, stay cool. Things will only get better...though probably for only about the next ten years or so...

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Things of quality.....

have no fear of time.

20's pshawwwwwww.

I was born in 1955....started HS in 1969......My draft number in 1973 was 02......Lived thru the 70's, the 80's, the 90's & now the 00's........form each of them I received pain and blessings......remember, the wonderfulness of an age comes from inside not outside.

Enjoy the ride

Len

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember Fraggle Rock. My little cuz grew up with Barney. Poor kid.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wayneanneli said:
paint, what????? You're not old, believe me. And one of the best times in a person's life is at uni. Meeting new people, nobody to be responsible for except yourself, new activities, clubs, etc. I know how old your are. Just think, in 9 days, I'll turn 39...yikes!
Cheers, Wayne
39 isn't old. Plus, you still look 28 so it doesn't really count. :p

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
paint said:
LOL! And I remember 1983. It's all relative.

My little cousins are all out of college now and I'm coming up on my 20th HS reunion. And so I'm sitting here now, half a bottle of Captian gone, off for the rest of the week and lovin' life.

You flipped me off once. Do it again. Then point that finger at the "gettin' old" mindset. Go ahead, post a pic... I'm taunting you. ;)

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't be a dork. :p

I don't remember 1983 because I wasn't borned then. But it's not like I think other people are old, it's just that I feel old myself. I don't know, it's some weird psychological thing. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with spending time with my gramma, though. She makes me feel young.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
If you didn't hate the Yankees so much...:p

·
Registered
635 Posts
paint i know the feeling, and im only 19....sometimes i just feel like im getting old. things start creeping up, jobs, career, life....and im only a frosh in college.....jeez....

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
paint said:
Don't be a dork. :p

I don't remember 1983 because I wasn't borned then. But it's not like I think other people are old, it's just that I feel old myself. I don't know, it's some weird psychological thing. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with spending time with my gramma, though. She makes me feel young.
I was "feeling old" a year or so ago. I was coming up on 35 and was realizing that I'd hit pretty much every long range goal I'd set when I was 25. It was a busy 10 years. I got over the feeling when I slowed down the pace a bit.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Blazin' Saddles said:
Ahhhhhhh Jeez . . . Lightweight --

I was born when Truman was Pres. The Korean War had not quite gotten under way.

The 20's were good years. I got laid a great deal. This was back before HIV/AIDS, when pot cost $10 an ounce and mostly people turned you on for free.

I remember the Beatle's first tour in the USA. They came to Portland, OR. I was about 16. This would be 1964.

The 30's and 40's were OK. I remember being a pretty strong rider when I was 30 something. Now I'm 58 and felllow riders call me "diesel" because I can just set a cadence and run it forever.

I'm retired, live in a nice house at the coast, get up in the morning and have to decide if I want to mow the pastures on the John Deere or ride the Harley down the coast for breakfast.

I have a G/F who's 28, 6' 2" and an RN.

Age is only a number --
Post a pic of the G/F on the Harley!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
firstrax said:
Thats nothing! I remember the razzle dazzle show!
I remember when "land of the lost" was cutting edge!
I remember when Elvis Presley was a new singer. Candy bars were a nickel and larger than they are now.

Just got a post-card from my HS -- for the 40th class reunion.

Turning 50 wasn't a big deal. Where it started to "sink in" was turning 51 when I realized it wasn't going to stop. :D :D :D

The G/F won't let me post her photo online. I think that's a good policy.

What does the 28 yr old G/F share in common with a 58 yr old me? We're both part of the 3% demographic in this area with advanced degrees. And I don't chew and spit out the window of the truck.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Paint, your ancient

actually, I know exactly what you are saying, there are days that I wake up and feel 100, though I am only a little over a quarter of the way there.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blazin' Saddles said:
And I don't chew and spit out the window of the truck.
So you chew and spit inside of the truck? Eeewww.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
spyderman said:
If you didn't hate the Yankees so much...:p
...then what? The world would come to an end, that's what.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CC09 said:
paint i know the feeling, and im only 19....sometimes i just feel like im getting old. things start creeping up, jobs, career, life....and im only a frosh in college.....jeez....
Man, after my fish/frosh/freshman year, it was BAD. It was like, I wasn't the hot young freshman anymore. I wasn't an upper classman. I was just a regular ol' sophomore. I wanted to be a freshman again so bad. :eek:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts