Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to report to jury duty tomorrow morning..now the first time I went I got picked for a 5 day felony case so I feel I have done my duty. Help me come up with some answers to the lawyers potential questions to make sure one of the attorneys strike me from the juror list...for example.

Defense attorney starts to ask question, "Do any of you feel by the looks of the accused that he/she is guilty". Raise your hand and say, "Of course, the police would not have arrested him/her if he/she wasn't guilty"..

·
Deliciously Ironic
1,006 Posts
Duty is Duty

No matter how many times you are asked.
Honestly, we really need smart intelligent people to be on juries; it will be a far better thing for you to do than posting on cycling message boards. :cool:

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Send Mrs. MCF out of town and leave your keys in her car.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Rollo Tommassi said:
No matter how many times you are asked.
Honestly, we really need smart intelligent people to be on juries; it will be a far better thing for you to do than posting on cycling message boards. :cool:
++
Also Lewis Black sayz do your jury duty and if it is some harmeless crime like smoking a phatty, or giving a handy vote not guilty no matter what the evidence says

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Sorry, go do your time.

Of course wearing a summer dress and high heels might just get you out of it. Let us know if it works.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
You start a lot of threads.

Seems like that's a good enough excuse in and of itself.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Chain said:
Sorry, go do your time.

Of course wearing a summer dress and high heels might just get you out of it. Let us know if it works.

I've been called 3x, but only had to go to voir dire once. It was a case about a mother and a daughter disputing lottery winnings--I truthfull said if I were the daughter I'd just let the mother have the money--I was dismissed shortly after.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Show up drunk.

joe

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
One way of getting off a trial is to answer the questions put to you with absolute, ruthless honesty. For instance, "I don't trust the police," or "I've found the police are usually right." Answer calmly, but don't try to please anybody. Don't hem or haw. If you make your biases and opinions clear, chances are pretty good either one side or the other will thank and excuse you.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Just tell the judge that you feel you've done your duty, and you don't want to do it again. Say it's just not an option for you right now, but maybe your honor can call back in a few years.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
I got all the information and was all ready to experience the wonder that is JURY DUTY.

At 9:30 p;m. on a sunday someone affiliated with the trial called and said it had all
been settled out of court and that I wasn't needed.

GRUMBLE! 44 years I wait for my turn and I get NOTHING! NOTHING!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Just tell the judge that you feel you've done your duty, and you don't want to do it again. Say it's just not an option for you right now, but maybe your honor can call back in a few years.
That oughtta work...NOT.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's a little late now, but some people in my office re-schedule jury duty for the week of a major holiday. The lawyers will be on vacation and you won't need to show up.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Both lawyers decided that they didn't like me when I explained that jury duty was a really hard job because you had to decide which lawyer was lying more.
Since I live on the far western sliver of Cook County, I wasn't too happy about trudging all the way to the "Richard J. Daley Center" for some goofy civil case. I would have been happy to drive to Rolling Meadows for a local case.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
I've enjoyed jury duty, I don't try to dodge it...some interesting cases, murder, embezzlement, some narco stuff...

the murder case was from a real odd one...79-yr old codger offed his landlady cause she was doing the mess-around on him. strangled her with her own apron.

unfortunately for the defendant, he signed a confession note and pinned it to the body. doh. the handwriting analysis expert witness was really interesting.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts