Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dammit, I got it. Despite my neighbor's warning from over the fence, I carried on with my brush clearing and there was nary a green leaf to be seen... but I got it anyway, not from a leaf but from a freaking VINE. Ugh, I got it... poison oak or ivy or something and jeebus it itches and no Im not going to post a pic. Im cruising the internet looking for cure advice, but every sight is different. So please please please help your brother out... I want to know what WORKS.

Coop, unless you have a REAL idea... please dont respond... Im not getting anywhere close to one of those flame throwers to burn the blisters off.

And no, Im not going to let a corgi lick them.... wait did I say THEM...
 

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
Joined
·
24,200 Posts
funknuggets said:
dammit, I got it. Despite my neighbor's warning from over the fence, I carried on with my brush clearing and there was nary a green leaf to be seen... but I got it anyway, not from a leaf but from a freaking VINE. Ugh, I got it... poison oak or ivy or something and jeebus it itches and no Im not going to post a pic. Im cruising the internet looking for cure advice, but every sight is different. So please please please help your brother out... I want to know what WORKS.

Coop, unless you have a REAL idea... please dont respond... Im not getting anywhere close to one of those flame throwers to burn the blisters off.

And no, Im not going to let a corgi lick them.... wait did I say THEM...

Calamine lotion was what we always used when I was young.

Found this link: http://www.cattail.nu/ivy/ivy_index.html
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
Hydrocortisone cream will dry it up. I just had a bout with it last week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
If you have it as bad as it sounds, a trip to the Dr. for a shot in the butt and some prednisone will help. It helped me. It was alllll over! I took a hot bath thinking that would soothe it. Hard lesson learned!! I heard it can get into your system so be careful.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,482 Posts
cheddarlove said:
If you have it as bad as it sounds, a trip to the Dr. for a shot in the butt and some prednisone will help. It helped me. It was alllll over! I took a hot bath thinking that would soothe it. Hard lesson learned!! I heard it can get into your system so be careful.
I had it once and went to the dermatologist and got a shot. He gave me some cream too. It all helped a little but really, the itch was there for about 10 days or so. It was sensitive to sunlight too. Sorry to hear about yours. You're in for a week or two of itching. Go to the doc.:(
 

·
A Canadian in Sweden
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
Chris,
Are you and your neighbour on good terms? Why wouldn't he want you to cut it down?
Cheers, Wayne
 

·
Professional Lurker
Joined
·
242 Posts
Calamine lotion merely dries out the skin. It works for a short period of time, but isn't exactly the most effective remedy.

From what I have heard, Zanfel works very well (although it is also very expensive).

Cortisone creams work well in general; a prednisone shot will up the ante.

The best way I have found to deal with the plague of urushiol is to run very hot water (as hot as you can stand) over the irritated area. This locally releases histamines and will completely relieve the itching for several hours.

In any case, you are in for about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks of incessant annoyance. Make sure that you wash and clean everything that was exposed or you'll end up recontaminating yourself multiple times.

Special detergents are made to remove urushiol from different materials. I have never had problems with standard detergents, though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
the other thing I did which I think helped is after showering with super hot water(borderline pain) I would hold a hair dryer really close to affected areas until it hurt. I think this helped dry it out. Ivy Dry isn't too expensive and it works. I used to get poison ivy all the time and it is all I will use. You may want to wash your sheets frequently(it won't hurt to wash everyday).
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,224 Posts
It could be worse, you could have burned the vines and breathed the smoke. Imaging that stuff IN your lungs!

Oatmeal based bath mixtures work.

I am sorry for your itching and oozing. But you learned a valuable lesson, that the vines are just as bad as the leaves.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
Wrong, wrong, wrong

Friction_Shifter said:
the other thing I did which I think helped is after showering with super hot water(borderline pain) I would hold a hair dryer really close to affected areas until it hurt. I think this helped dry it out. Ivy Dry isn't too expensive and it works. I used to get poison ivy all the time and it is all I will use. You may want to wash your sheets frequently(it won't hurt to wash everyday).
The last thing that you want to do is shower with hot water. Hot water opens up your pores and the poisonous oils spread and penetrate your skin. I learned this lesson the hard way. It probably is too late for this exposure, but Funk, if you are going to be doing more yard work, I recommend that you wash with Tecnu (http://www.teclabsinc.com/pro_tecnu.html) and cold water after you do yard work.

I never can see poison ivy, but every time I do any extensive yard work (even cutting the grass on the edge of the yard) I get poison ivy rash unless I clean up immediately. It also helps to wear gloves, long pants and a long sleeved shirt while doing yard work in areas where there is poison ivy. I know that I look ridiculous when I am doing yard work with temperatures in the 90s and I am covered from head to toe. But, I would rather sweat like a pig for an hour or two than have welts all over my arms and legs for a week or two.
 

·
Non non normal
Joined
·
10,092 Posts
Sorry about the poison.

Remember, if you get rid of the funk the only thing you will have left is the nuggets. :D

I guess this isn't the time to tell everyone that I routinely pull poison ivy and poison oak with my bare hands and never have any ill effects.
 

·
remodeling...me
Joined
·
4,177 Posts
MarkS said:
The last thing that you want to do is shower with hot water. Hot water opens up your pores and the poisonous oils spread and penetrate your skin. I learned this lesson the hard way. It probably is too late for this exposure, but Funk, if you are going to be doing more yard work, I recommend that you wash with Tecnu (http://www.teclabsinc.com/pro_tecnu.html) and cold water after you do yard work.

ditto on MarkS. I have had poison ivy at least once every summer, I would have it more if I didn't do what MarkS suggests for prevention. The Doc told me that hot water will help the stuff spread and increase the itch later, so not worth it. Someone told my husband to take an Aveano (oatmeal) bath, as a result it spread to his entire body! (I was out of town and he came to pick me up and was pink all over and sitting on a towel in the car, quite funny looking)
For the cure,
I went to the dermatologist the time before last and here is what the Doctor said. Hydracortisone rather than calamine or any of those, this usually gets rid of mine in a week if I start right away. If it gets really bad get the pills (prednisone), you take them for a week and at the end it's gone.

I also Ditto Marks on the prevention (future ref) after I know or think I have been exposed I gently wash with Tecnu then I scrub with the Tecnu (always in cold or cool water). Sometimes I follow that with an application of rubbing alchahol just to be safe. If I do this and wash the clothes and gloves really well I can usually avoid. It's a PITA when I forget or am away from home because then I get it.
 

·
scruffy nerf herder
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bigrider, you are a lucky... it seems only 10% of the world is immune to this. Get this... I was reading all this stuff about urishidol and the amount on the top of a pin head could affect 500 people. Thats some crazy stuff. Ok, I had everything but the long sleeves, and I remember when pulling it, saying, this is probably poison oak or something and I tugged it a few times and when it came down out of the tree it draped over the bend in my elbow. So, I thought washing it with dishwashing soap and water after I was done would work, but to no avail. I have it mostly on my forearm and somehow on my opposite shoulder. Either way.... ok, Im going to try the hydrocortizone first, and also use some calamine clear.

You know, there are a lot of myths. I've been told that if you pop those blisters, it spreads the rash... all the sites say that is a myth. Thats interesting to me. I also read that dead vines/plants will carry the urishidol for up to 5 YEARS. Holy crap.

But, at least we don't have crap growing through the fence. Lesson learned I guess. Hey, now some of them are oozing and getting a yellow crusty glaze.... yum.
 

·
Non non normal
Joined
·
10,092 Posts
funknuggets said:
Bigrider, you are a lucky... it seems only 10% of the world is immune to this. Get this... I was reading all this stuff about urishidol and the amount on the top of a pin head could affect 500 people. Thats some crazy stuff. Ok, I had everything but the long sleeves, and I remember when pulling it, saying, this is probably poison oak or something and I tugged it a few times and when it came down out of the tree it draped over the bend in my elbow. So, I thought washing it with dishwashing soap and water after I was done would work, but to no avail. I have it mostly on my forearm and somehow on my opposite shoulder. Either way.... ok, Im going to try the hydrocortizone first, and also use some calamine clear.

You know, there are a lot of myths. I've been told that if you pop those blisters, it spreads the rash... all the sites say that is a myth. Thats interesting to me. I also read that dead vines/plants will carry the urishidol for up to 5 YEARS. Holy crap.

But, at least we don't have crap growing through the fence. Lesson learned I guess. Hey, now some of them are oozing and getting a yellow crusty glaze.... yum.



The myths that have been propagated about Poison Ivy are as numerous as Elvis sitings.


I know this is evil but there is a real idiot here at work that is HIGHLY allergic to poison ivy and every once in a while I get the urge to go pull on a bunch of it before work and then come in and shake his hand and grab his elbow to get his attention, maybe even joke around and grab him around the neck, you get the idea.

Just the idea brightens up my day, although I would never do such a sneaky evil thing.
 

·
In need of sock puppet
Joined
·
9,420 Posts
funknuggets said:
Coop, unless you have a REAL idea... please dont respond... Im not getting anywhere close to one of those flame throwers to burn the blisters off.
...
Next time - Wash thoroughly with Tecnu before the oil sets-in. Then be sure to wash the clothes you wore in Tecnu as well. I get poison oak rash EVRYTIME I ride off-road here in Santa Cruz County. Tecnu is my friend.

Fire may be a nice distraction, but it won't stop the itch.
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
Me too. Immune to it. Used to bring it home on my clothes and give it to my mom. She was never too pleased about that.:eek:
 

·
Professional Lurker
Joined
·
242 Posts
MarkS said:
The last thing that you want to do is shower with hot water. Hot water opens up your pores and the poisonous oils spread and penetrate your skin. I learned this lesson the hard way. It probably is too late for this exposure, but Funk, if you are going to be doing more yard work, I recommend that you wash with Tecnu (http://www.teclabsinc.com/pro_tecnu.html) and cold water after you do yard work.

I never can see poison ivy, but every time I do any extensive yard work (even cutting the grass on the edge of the yard) I get poison ivy rash unless I clean up immediately. It also helps to wear gloves, long pants and a long sleeved shirt while doing yard work in areas where there is poison ivy. I know that I look ridiculous when I am doing yard work with temperatures in the 90s and I am covered from head to toe. But, I would rather sweat like a pig for an hour or two than have welts all over my arms and legs for a week or two.
I think Friction_Shifter was referring to a hot shower after initial exposure and once the rash has already appeared.

As you say, directly after exposure it is best to wash with cold water. If I recall correctly, you have anywhere from 1-6 hours after contact before urushiol binds.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top