Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching t.v. and there was an episode of Touched By An Angel on. I was a fan of Della Reese and this particular episode had Wynona Judd (whom I also like). Judd played a woman who had a terminally ill son and she was writing a song for him before he died. The kid kept hanging on until she produced the song and through the course of the episode they discussed all the various issues that would/could come from the situation (they were pretty candid about it). Eventually she finished the tune (Testify to Love by Avalon if you're interested), and the boy goes to Heaven.

I've never been one to emote over movies and such (except Ol' Yeller, I cried unashamedly), but this one got a few tears out of me at the end. Caught me off guard, as usually only Taps (the solo bugle touches me) will evoke such a reaction.

Must be mellowing.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Is this a function of getting older? I find myself getting more pragmatic.

Maybe when the kid gets to heaven, God can answer some questions about why kids need to die despite all those prayers.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Don't watch Marley and Me. You think you can handle it because it's clear what's going to happen, but nope.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hear ya...Rambo days are limited. Tim Allen Last Man Standing so much hits it for me. I have 3 girls and its like seeing my life on TV. I do not work at a cool dude store but otherwise.....funny how getting older makes me more sentimental.....I take my girls trout fishing....

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
A common experience. "Touched by an Angel" is a bit too sappy for me, but I cry at plenty of things, including poems and songs.

Some songs I've learned to sing are hard to get through. The bridge of Don McLean's "Vincent," for example, usually gets me.

For they could not love you
But still your love was true
And when no hope was left in sight
On that starry, starry night
You took your life, as lovers often do
But I could've told you Vincent
This world was never meant for
One as beautiful as you
I guess I'm permanently out of the macho-man club now, huh?

"Taps" can be special. My father was a retired military pilot, and when he died (almost 18 years ago now), two buglers from his old Air Guard unit played echo taps at the graveside, the second bugler at a distance a half-beat behind. Pretty intense. But I managed to end the service by leading everyone in the singing of the Army Air Corps hymn (Off We Go into the Wild Blue Yonder) without breaking down. That was hard.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
OH well if we're talking about music, that's different. If this is about embarrassing sappy confessions, Kermit the Frog singing “It’s Not Easy Being Green” will get me every time. Teeny little frog, alone in the forest, singing about his humble existence…..

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I'm permanently out of the macho-man club now, huh?
Not at all. I've always known tears and such aren't a sign of weakness or anything, I just wasn't the one to show such things. Sad things are sad.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
As we age, we go through more loss and pain along the way.

The more we experience it, as opposed to just seeing it, the more we will feel the pain of others. So I think it is normal to be a bit more "sappy" as we get older. Normal and a sign of growing as a human being.

BTW, I think one big reason Ol' Yeller hits people at such a young age is that many kids have pets, and many have lost pets.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Don't watch Marley and Me. You think you can handle it because it's clear what's going to happen, but nope.
Same with reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain". I cried. My wife uglycried for about 30 minutes.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Senna

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Not at all. I've always known tears and such aren't a sign of weakness or anything, I just wasn't the one to show such things. Sad things are sad.
I personally find the man who is true to himself and doesn't try to hide the fact that some things can make you cry, more manly than the one who is embarrassed by it and tries to hide it. So yeah, I am a man but I cry sometimes, nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I was joking, of course. I was never in that club in the first place.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I cry/cried/will cry again during "Short Circuit".

Noooo Johnny Five!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
My kids tease me for being so sentimental.
I cried like a baby watching Mask (Cher, 1985)
Mama Mia, when Meryl Streep sings "The winner takes it all" DAMN.
La Bamba... NOT MY RITCHIE, Sleepwalk playing in the background.

Tears are welling up just typing this.

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
Every time I watch a Three Stooges episode where there's a bowl of clam soup and a clam squirts Curly in the face with soup, it brings me to tears. There, I said it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It sucks when you see the people you saw when you were a kid get older. You would assume the way you saw them would last forever. It's stupid but I always felt that way. Hate to see my heroes get old.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Nietzsche said that sentimentality was the failure of feeling.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,155 Posts
Man, I still cry when I see this . . .

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Of course I'm partial to the Kitten Halftime Show, but if I don't click on the puppy video, it's b/c I'm at work and don't want to start sobbing in my cube (plenty of other reasons for that!!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts