Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a road bike and ride the Donut ride. I am an avid 'hybrid-cross-weekend rider' and dedicated Johnny G spinner, but now want to invest. i want a bike i can love and live with for a while. i have done some research and wondered if the 'women specific designs' are really better for petite women. WHat brands are not in the regular shops that would suit me and should i buy used? If so where?
thank you to anyone for help with this.
lily

· Registered
5,358 Posts
A WSD type design may or may not fit for you. Lots of WSD bikes have shorter reach to the brake levers in addition to the slightly different frame geometry, but if you happen to fit a small "mens" bike better, the brake lever reach can be fixed.

I suggest that you buy from a shop that'll take the time to fit you. That probably means a new bike. Bike fit is as important as shoe fit. While I have sometimes done ok buying shoes and bikes from the Internet, that is a hit or miss proposition. Especially if you don't know much.

Even though I have been riding since the 80s and have always done my own fitting, when my wife wanted to start road riding a few years ago, I took her to a local shop that spent an hour or so fitting her to her bike.

She also wound up with a bike much different (racier) than what I'd expected her to like. She said it felt better on the test ride. So test ride before you buy, you may be suprised.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

ericm979 said:
A WSD type design may or may not fit for you. Lots of WSD bikes have shorter reach to the brake levers in addition to the slightly different frame geometry, but if you happen to fit a small "mens" bike better, the brake lever reach can be fixed.

I suggest that you buy from a shop that'll take the time to fit you. That probably means a new bike. Bike fit is as important as shoe fit. While I have sometimes done ok buying shoes and bikes from the Internet, that is a hit or miss proposition. Especially if you don't know much.

Even though I have been riding since the 80s and have always done my own fitting, when my wife wanted to start road riding a few years ago, I took her to a local shop that spent an hour or so fitting her to her bike.

She also wound up with a bike much different (racier) than what I'd expected her to like. She said it felt better on the test ride. So test ride before you buy, you may be suprised.
i appreciate your reply.
I did go to a boutique shop and was concerned as their entry bike was 1500$ and i was definately seduced by the sporty raciness of it all. No pink bike for me!
i may go back and get the Marinoni that is calling my name.

· Registered
635 Posts
having a bike call your name is prbly a good thing. It means you clearly like it, and that means you like it for a reason, hopefully that reason is that it fits you the best or is the most comfortable.

As for for a pink bike, thats what upgrades are for. Rims, pedals, saddle, bartape, headset, little cap for top of headset, bottle cages, and possibly more all come in pink. Imo, a black or whatever color frame w/ all those pink components looks pretty cool, and isn't over the top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.