Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am a serious cyclist, but I have never raced. I would like to start racing in 2007 and take this year to train myself better. I am 21 now so I will be 22 in '07. I would like to do road racing. I am in SD so starting out around here isnt an option. What do I need to do?
Thanks a lot,
Jason

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Race this year.

I don't know anything about your area, or what's possible, but I do know that I had the same thoughts as you about a year ago, and got persuaded to do some races -- did about a dozen -- in '05 instead of waiting till '06, and I'm glad I did. there's no better motivation to train hard than to race, and there is no substitute for pack experience.

If you're already a "serious cyclist" with some miles under your legs -- I was not -- then the pack skills are going to be the biggest thing you need to work on to start racing. Bumping shoulders, drafting, pacelines, all of that. You need to find yourself a team or club where you can practice that. If you're really really serious and there are no such groups in your area go find a place where there is some.

The biggest problem among recreational cyclists transitioning to racing, training-wise, is that they cannot cope with the sudden accelerations of the pack. Learn to do that, too.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
What he said...

Argentius said:
Race this year.

I don't know anything about your area, or what's possible, but I do know that I had the same thoughts as you about a year ago, and got persuaded to do some races -- did about a dozen -- in '05 instead of waiting till '06, and I'm glad I did. there's no better motivation to train hard than to race, and there is no substitute for pack experience.

If you're already a "serious cyclist" with some miles under your legs -- I was not -- then the pack skills are going to be the biggest thing you need to work on to start racing. Bumping shoulders, drafting, pacelines, all of that. You need to find yourself a team or club where you can practice that. If you're really really serious and there are no such groups in your area go find a place where there is some.

The biggest problem among recreational cyclists transitioning to racing, training-wise, is that they cannot cope with the sudden accelerations of the pack. Learn to do that, too.
What he said. Don't wait until next year, as Nike says, Just do it. Go out and race this year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts