Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go with Easton EC90 tubulars, Here is my shopping list . Do I need a truing stand, rim tape etc....What else should I get to make life easier for me???

2-Vittoria Corsa Evo CX
1-Vottoria Rally (for spare)
1 can Pit Stop
3 tubes Mastik

Thanks in advance
Jim
 

· Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
BeeCharmer said:
Six tubes of glue for two tires? No wonder you need gloves. One trick in lieu of an acid brush, is to use a baggy to spread the glue on.
Rather have more than I need than not enough especially for new rims and tubs since the base tape tends to absorb glue when new. I've done the baggie trick before but prefer brushes.....
 

· Hucken The Fard Up !
Joined
·
4,605 Posts
As you will carry a Vittoria Rally as an spare I would advice to skip the Vittoria Pit Stop and get a micro CO2 inflator, tire levers, and some cartridges. And also a Tubular repair kit.

The Corsa EVO are good tubulars, I woulnd't put Pit Stop or other sealant in them.

Prepare the Rally with glue and carry it folded in one of your bottle cages, and the inflators and levers on the pocket.

If you ever have a flat, replace with the Rally, and ride home, then repair properly the Vitttoria Corsa

The repair is an easy task but you need to do it carefully the first time.

there is a page about it with good info.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tubfix.html
 

· Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
krisdrum said:
Electrical tape. Cover the brake track on both sides of each rim before you start gluing. It makes clean up alot easier and you can be a bit messier with the glue without worry.
If you have never glued before, this is great advice.

Also: don't get the Vittoria Rally. You are wasting your money. Get another Corsa EVO CX if you must have a "spare". On rides, just carry the pit stop.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,587 Posts
Get a couple of old aluminum tubular rims. They don't need to actually be mounted to a hub and spokes. But it's key to have these rims so you can pre-stretch your tubulars on them.

When the tubular is new, throw it on this old rim and then pump the tubular up to about 20 or 30psi and let it sit like that overnight to stretch out. If you don't pre-stretch before mounting, you'll have a gluey mess.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
nightfend said:
Get a couple of old aluminum tubular rims. They don't need to actually be mounted to a hub and spokes. But it's key to have these rims so you can pre-stretch your tubulars on them.

When the tubular is new, throw it on this old rim and then pump the tubular up to about 20 or 30psi and let it sit like that overnight to stretch out. If you don't pre-stretch before mounting, you'll have a gluey mess.
You can do this using clincher rims as well, with some extra care. In either case, make sure the rim is CLEAN before mounting. I've also seen advice to glue your two layers on the tire, let dry and THEN stretch using a clean rim, since after you've glued, the glue will want to shrink, basically undoing the stretching you did pre-glue.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,587 Posts
krisdrum said:
You can do this using clincher rims as well, with some extra care. In either case, make sure the rim is CLEAN before mounting. I've also seen advice to glue your two layers on the tire, let dry and THEN stretch using a clean rim, since after you've glued, the glue will want to shrink, basically undoing the stretching you did pre-glue.
I've never bothered doing this, but it's probably a good idea as the glue does cause the tire to shrink a bit. But, just before putting it on, just step on the tire and pull up with your hands.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
nightfend said:
I've never bothered doing this, but it's probably a good idea as the glue does cause the tire to shrink a bit. But, just before putting it on, just step on the tire and pull up with your hands.
The step and pull method has the potential to do damage to your new expensive un-returnable tires. That might be a rare occurence, but possible none-the-less. Nevermind not stretching the tire evenly.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,270 Posts
Valve Extenders if the valves on the tires aren't long enough...and they probably aren't. Get the Vittorias for the Corsas as they have removable valve cores. For the spare, a "zipp" type extender will have to do as I don't think those cheaper Vittoria tubulars have removable cores.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top