Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, are you happy with your training / preparedness?

I go back and forth, as not too many long rides this year, but have had some quality intense rides and a couple of 3000 mi years preceding. Did GFNY (and others ) in the two previous years.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I paid $200 registering a day after last years's event, which is still a lot, though not as much as the more recent prices.
GFNJ is a great event, I've done it the last two years, and it is well run, just as challenging and MUCH easier logistically for the riders.
The Hotel I stayed in is less than a 1/4 mile from the start, which is also the finish ( a plus compared to NY), close to many good restaurants a Walgreens , a Dunkin Donuts, starbucks etc.
GFNJ is a great event.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...did some indoor training with intervals ( an hour and a half )
Sat. night and a quick (intense hour w 1100 feet of climbing) short ride this afternoon.
I'm hoping intensity will do it for me this year, rather than a greater volume of training.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I finished the event, not too much worse for the wear, except for being wet (rained all day, driving rain at times, Bear Mt descent especially), and a good amount of knee pain ( never really had any knee issues before). I wonder if the lack of long rides in training is the cause of said pain, or could it be a new fit done in the preceding 6 weeks or so. Or both?

Apparently there were only 2229 finishers, which sounds quite the low number, as there were supposed to be 7000 participants.
How many did not show or did not finish because of the weather?
Is it possible 4771 people bailed out in one way or another, or was the 7000 number an exaggeration?

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
So I finished the event, not too much worse for the wear, except for being wet (rained all day, driving rain at times, Bear Mt descent especially), and a good amount of knee pain ( never really had any knee issues before). I wonder if the lack of long rides in training is the cause of said pain, or could it be a new fit done in the preceding 6 weeks or so. Or both?

Apparently there were only 2229 finishers, which sounds quite the low number, as there were supposed to be 7000 participants.
How many did not show or did not finish because of the weather?
Is it possible 4771 people bailed out in one way or another, or was the 7000 number an exaggeration?
From what I heard there were only about 3600 people registered. Think about it did you see any bibs numbered much higher than 3600?

And I am sure a fair number of people bailed or could not finish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.